Vegetable Pulao (వెజిటబుల్ పులావు, பலௌ,सब्ज़ी पुलाव) is a dish in which rice is cooked in a seasoned broth with veggies/mutton /chicken. Pulao and similar dishes are common to Middle Eastern, Central and South Asian cuisine.
Regional dish : Tamilnadu; Andhra; Karnataka; Kerala; South and North India.
Cuisine Style : Tamilnadu | Cooking Time 30 minutes | Take with Raita | Type Rice | Shelf Life : 1 day | Quantity : 6 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values : calculated for 1 serving ( 1cup)
Calories( 185 Kcal), Carbohydrates (36 g), Protein(4 g), Fat (2.2 g).
- Boiled rice 3 cups
- A bunch of coriander leaves
- Mint leaves 2tbsp
- Green chillies 3or4
- Coconut shredded 2 tsp
- Onions sliced fine 3
- Chopped onion 1/2 cup
- A few sticks of Cinnamon
- A few cardamom seeds
- A few cloves
- Bay leaves 3nos
- Red chilli powder 1 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Garlic flakes 2nos
- Piece ginger 1 inch
- Ghee or melted butter for frying
- Some mixed frozen vegetables like beans, carrots , cauliflower and green peas
- Grind together the 1/2 onion, coconut, garlic, ginger and coriander in the blender, to make a smooth paste and keep aside.
- Fry the onions in a the ghee or melted butter.
- Also add the bay leaves,cloves, cinnamon and cardamom.When onions are browned properly, add the red chilli powder and fry for 30-45 seconds.
- Now add all the vegetables, and sprinkle some water on it.
- Keep covered and cook on a low flame till the vegetables are cooked.This might take approximately 15-20 minutes.
- When the vegetables are done, transfer the vegetables to a big mixing dish, add all the boiled rice, salt to taste and the blended masala.
- Mix thoroughly and then heat it either in a microwave or on low heat on the cooking range.It is heated again to let the salt spread across the dish. Garnish with finely chopped mint and serve with Raita.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1.Ghee rice 2.Vegetable pulao 3. Jeera rice 4. Navaratan Pulao.5.Paneer pulao 6. Bread pulao7. Soya nuggets 8.Tofu rice.