Pulagam (புளகம், పులగం, पुलगम) Pulagam is a simple rice and dal combination . Which is especially made during pooja’s for goddess lakshmi and also during fasting or when any one is in recovery state of injury, as it gives energy and yet simple to digest with minimum ingredients like salt and ghee.It is called as kichidi/ Pongal.
Regional Dish : Tamilnadu; Andhra; Karnataka; Uttar Pradesh; Punjab; Himachal Pradesh; South India and some places in North India.
Cuisine Style : Tamilnadu | Cooking Time 30 minutes | Take with chutney | Type Lunch | Shelf Life : 1 day| Quantity : 4 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values : calculated for 1 serving ( 1cup)
Calories ( 176 Kcal), Carbohydrates (34.1 g ), Protein (5.9 g), Fat (1.8 g).
- Rice 2 cups
- Moong dal / green gram dal 1 cup
- Red chillis 1 to 2 nos
- Cumin seeds 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds 1tsp
- Curry leaves few
- Hing 2 pinch
- Turmeric powder 2 pinch
- Salt to taste
- Oil or Ghee 4 tbsp
- Water 4 cups (if u need u can add more)
- Wash rice and daal and drain the water keep it aside.
- Now in a pressure cooker put rice and daal together and add water , salt and cook till its soft ( like a porridge stage)
- Heat oil or ghee in a pan, add cumin ,mustard, red chilles, curry leaves, hing , let them splutter .
- Now add the tampering to the cooked rice and moong dal.
- It is taken hot as such or with any chutney or curry if one likes.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1. Can make it rich by adding roasted cashew nuts. 2. with pepper corns , its is called as pongal or kichidi.
3.Masala kichidi with other spices 4. Vegetable kichidi using vegetables.