Potlakaya Nuvulu Kura (పొట్లకాయ నువ్వులు కూర;लौकी तिल की सब्जी) is a good source of nutrients and fiber. With sesame seeds the curry gets distinct flavor which is mild. This curry is prepared by mostly people living near coastal regions of Godavari region of Andhra Pradesh.
Regional Dish: Andhra Pradesh; Tamil Nadu; Kerala
Cuisine Style: Andhra Pradesh | Cooking Time 25 minutes | take with Rice | Type Curry | Shelf Life: 1 day| Quantity: 2 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving
Calories (150 kcal), Carbohydrates (15 g), Protein (2.4 g), Fat (1.5 g).
- Snake Gourd ( bite size pieces 2 cups)
- Sesame seeds 2 tbsp.
- Dry red chilies 4 nos.
- Curry leaves 10 nos.
- Raw rice 1 tbsp.
- Asafoetida 1 pinch
- Salt as needed
- Turmeric ¼ tsp.
- Ghee/ Oil 1 tbsp.
- Garlic pieces 1 tbsp. (optional)
- Cut snake gourd into bite size pieces and boil them in water and some salt, until they are tender enough.
- Dry roast the sesame seeds, raw rice, red chilies until nice aroma comes.
- Grind the above ingredients to a fine powder once they cool ( spice powder).
- Add enough ghee to the pan on medium heat add asafoetida, garlic pieces, curry leaves and turmeric in order to the pan.
- Drain snake gourd pieces from hot water and add them to the pan.
- Leave 2-3 mins until the water evaporates, then add the spice powder and give a mix.
- Allow the curry to cook on low heat for 5 mins until raw smell is gone and the sesame powder is coated to the snake gourd pieces nicely.
Other variants / Cuisine Style: add 3tsp of coconut powder and 3 tsp of curds to the above curry in the last step. Add roasted cumin powder.