Potlakaya Fry (போட்லகைய பரி, పొట్లకాయ వేపుడు, सांप कद्दू तलना) (Potlakaya )Snake Gourd Fry is very simple and tasty. It can be done both fry and pachadi.
Regional Dish : Tamilnadu; Andhra pradesh; South India
Cuisine Style : Tamilnadu | Cooking Time 30minutes | Take as Side Dish | Type fry | Shelf Life : 1 day | Quantity : 4 Servings
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving:
Calories( 80 Kcal), Carbohydrates (18 g), protein(2 g), Fat (1g).
- Snake gourd 2 lbs cut into small chunks (do not remove skin)
- Green chillies 4 cut into small pieces
- Curry leaves 6
- Oil 1 tbsp
- Chana dal 1 tsp
- Urad dal 1 tsp
- Dry red chillies 3 broken
- Cumin, Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp each
- Garlic pods 3 cut into small pieces
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric 1/2 tsp
- Chilli powder 1/2 tsp
1. In a wide and thick bottomed vessel, take oil. When its hot, add mustard and cumin seeds. When they start to crackle, add chana dal, urad dal. After 20 seconds, add dry red chillies and garlic pods.
2. When garlic pods turn a slight brown, add snake gourd.
3. Add turmeric, salt. Fry with a lid half way closed on the vessel. Keep stirring occasionally.
4. When snake gourd turns slight brown, add chilli powder and turn off heat. Mix in the chilli powder.
5. Snake gourd fry is now ready to eat. Can be had with rice or chapathi. Goes great with rasam and rice
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1. Simple Potlakaya fry 2. Potlakaya kobari fry 3. Potlakaya kandi pappu fry 4. Potlakaya telaga pindi 5. Potlakaya nuvula pindi 6. Potlakaya pesara pappu