Potato masala curry (आलू मसाला करी, బంగాళాదుంప మసాలా కూర, আলু মশলা তরকারি) Potato is such a versatile vegetable that is enjoyed in various forms all over the world. In India too it is prepared as such in many varieties and also in combination with other vegetables. It gives the thickness to any curry.This curry is spicy with less ingredients, think, simple, full of flavor. It can be enjoyed with hot steamed rice or with a chapathi or puri. In Andhra Pradesh this recipe is called as bangaladumpa masala kura.
Regional Dish: Andhra Pradesh, all over India in variations.
Cuisine Style: Andhra Pradesh| Cooking Time 30 minutes | Take it rice/ puri/chapathi | Type Curry | Shelf Life: 1day |Quantity: 4 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving
Calories (94.6Kcals), Carbohydrates (12.9g), Protein (1.3g), Fat (4.1g).
- Potatoes 4 medium sized
- Green chilies 2 no’s cut in to pieces
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder ¼ tsp.
For Masala paste
- Onion 1 medium sized chopped roughly
- 2 tsp. coriander seeds
- 3 tsp. grated fresh f ginger
- 2 dry red chilies broken in to pieces
(Grind all the above ingredients in a mixer to a coarse masala paste and set it a side)
For Tampering/ talimpu/ tadka
- 2 tbsp. Oil
- Channa dal 1 tbsp.
- Urad dal 1 tbsp.
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp.
- Curry leaves 1 sprig
- Boil potatoes in a pressure cooker and cool and peel the skin and mash them and set aside.
- Take a thick bottom shallow pan add 2 tbsp. of oil, once hot add the tampering ingredients, when they pop add green chili pieces and stir for 5 sec .
- Add prepared masala paste and stir for 3 minutes so the row smell is removed and also to prevent from masala getting burned.
- Now add turmeric powder and mashed potato and mix well, adjust salt and mix for 1 minute and now the curry is ready to be served with rice or puri or chapathi.
Variations: Add some green peas