Potlakaya kura (పొట్లకాయ కూర,போட்லகைய குற, सांप कद्दू कुरा) potlakaya / snake gourd is one of the tastiest vegetable . In Andhra Pradesh many variety of dishes are made out of this vegetable. The plant is a creeper which gives very long and lean snake gourd..
Regional Dish : Andhra Pradesh; Tamilnadu; South India.
Cuisine Style : Andhra Pradesh|Cooking Time 20| Take with rice| Type curry| Shelf Life 1day.
Appx.Nutritional values : Calories (190 Kcal), Carbohydrates (18g), Protein (2g), Fat (5g).
- Snake gourd 1 pkg frozen thawed
- Shallot/ Red onion 1 medium chopped
- Green chilies 2
- Curry leaves 6
- Tomatoes 2 chopped
- Sesame seed powder 2 tbsp
- Red chili powder ½ tsp (or more to taste)
- Rice flour 1tbsp
- Milk ¼cup
- Salt to taste
- Mustard seeds ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds ½tsp
1. Heat 1tbsp oil in a sauté pan; add mustard seeds and cumin seeds; once the seeds start to splutter; add curry leaves, shallots and green chilies; sauté until shallots are translucent, about 5 minutes.
2. Then add tomatoes; cover and cook till they turn mushy, takes another 5 minutes.
3. Add the sesame powder & red chili powder; cook for a minute.
4. Now add snake gourd and ½ cup water; cover and cook till it turns tender, about 8-10 minutes. Season with salt.
5. Whisk rice flour into milk and add it to the curry; mix well and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Enjoy with rice or roti.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : None.