Ponnaganni Keerai Pappu (పోనగంటాకు పప్పు, போனகன்டகு பப்பு, पोंनान्गान्नी कीरे दाल) A very tasty and an easily digestable dish that is popular in Andhra homes.
Regional Dish : Andhra; Tamilnadu; South India.
Cuisine Style : Andhra| Cooking Time 30 minutes| Take with Rice| Type Dal| Shelf Life : 1 day | Quantity : 6 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values : Calcualted for 1 serving ( 2Tbs)
calories (58.6Kcals), Carbohydrates(15.2g), Protein(3.5g), Fat(1.3g)
- Ponnanganni Keerai 1 bunch
- Toor Dal ½ cup
- Fresh Grated Coconut 1 cup
- Cumin seeds 1 tbsp.
- Red chillies 1-2
- Tamarind extract 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric 1tsp
- Asafetida a pinch
- Oil 2 tsps
- Mustard seeds 1tsp
- Urad dal 1 tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Rinse the toor dal well. Pressure cook it until its soft and keep aside.
- Pluck out the leaves of the Ponnanganni from its stems. Rinse it well in a colander and chop the leaves.
- Heat a kadhai (wok), Add one tablespoon of the oil, Add the ponnanganni leaves, salt, asafetida and turmeric powder and sauté till the leaves shrink in size,
- Mash well with a spoon, now add the cooked toor dal, mix it well with the cooked ponnanganni leaves,
- Add some water if required at this stage, let it come to a boil.
- In a mixie, blend the freshly grated coconut, cumin seeds and red chillies,Grind until the coconut starts to release the milk.
- Pour this grounded mixture into the Keerai and toor dal mix.
- Stir well, allow it to simmer for a minute on low flame.
- Stir once more. Now, in a small pan, take some oil, add the mustard seeds and when it begins to crackle,Add the urad dal, when the dal turns pink pour the seasoning on top, mix well and serve hot with Rice.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1. Ponnaganni Keerai with green gram dal.