Pongal (పొంగలి, பொங்கல், पोंगल, ಪೊಂಗಲ್) Pongal is a traditional South-Indian dish made with rice and moong dal which is flavored with ghee tampering of cashew nuts and whole peppercorns.It is a festive dish as well as a mini meals , Breakfast. It is served as such or with sambar and coconut chutney.
Religion Dish : Andhra; Tamil Nadu; Karnataka; South and North India.
Cuisine Style : Andhra | Cooking Time 25 minutes | Take with Coconut Chutney | Type Breakfast, Festive | Shelf Life : 1 day | Quantity : 3 servings
Appx. Nutritional values : calculated for 1 serving (1cup)
Calories (164 K cal), Carbohydrates (22.86 g), Protein (44.95 g), Fat (7.11 g).
Ingredients to serve :
- Raw rice 1 cup
- Moong dal 1/4 cup
- Whole black peppercorns 4
- Cumin seeds 10
- Grated ginger 1 teaspoon
- Black pepper powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Ghee 3 tablespoons
- Curry leaves 12
- Green chillies 3 (cut into lengthwise)
- Roasted cashewnuts 12
- Asafoetida 1/4 tsp
- Water 5 cups
- Salt to taste
- Dry roast the moong dal till the aroma comes out.
- Wash raw rice and moong dal and rinse completely.
- Pressure cook rice, moong dal, asafoetida, black peppercorns, cumin seeds with water and salt for upto 6 whistles.
- After 15 minutes, transfer the cooked rice into a bowl.
- Heat ghee in a small pan and add green chillies, curry leaves, pepper powder, cumin powder and cashewnuts.
- Pour into a serving bowl and mix well.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : Ven Pongal, Khara Pongal,Katte Pongali.
No comments yet.