Plain Dosa (సాదా దోస, ப்ளைன் தோச, डोसा)It is the post popular Breakfast in almost all South Indian homes and its also a favorite Breakfast for kids. It is prepared in different variations . The origins of Dosa have been widely discussed in literature and books.Eminent food scientist K. T. Achaya said that Dosa has a history of two thousand years in Tamil-speaking regions.
Edward Farnworth mentions the first reference to Dosa in Tamil Sangam literature in the sixth century A.D.
Regional Dish: Andhra Pradesh, TamilNadu, Kerala, Karnataka; South and North India.
Cuisine Style: Andhra | Cooking Time 10 Minutes | Take it with chutney |Type Breakfast,Snack | Shelf Life: 1 hour |Quantity : 5 Servings
Appx. Nutritional Values:calculated for 1serving (2nos)
Calories (160 Kcals), Carbohydrates(34g), Protein(4.6g), Fat (3.8g)
- 2 cup plain rice
- 1 cup white Urad dal, white or washed
- 1/4 cup Channa dal
- 1/2 Table spoon methi (fenugreek) seeds
- 10-12 tsps. ghee or oil
- Water for grinding dal to make batter.
1. Wash the rice, dals and fenugreek seeds.
2. Allow them to soak for 7-8 hours or overnight.
3. Grind them to a fine batter by adding water, to the batter add salt and mix well and set it a side for 5 to 6 hrs for the batter to get fermented.
4. The consistency of the batter should be thick enough to thickly coat on a spoon when dipped.
5. Heat the iron griddle or non-stick tawa well.
6. Pour a spoonful of batter in the centre, spread with the back of the spoon to a thin round.
7. Pour a tsp. of ghee or oil over it.
8. Remove with spatula when crisp.
9. Serve hot with chutney and / sambar/ Podis.
Other variants/ Cuisine Style: 1. Dosa Plain with green chilly. 2. Plain Dosa with different ingredients.