Phool Makhana Gravy (फूल मखाना मसाला) is a famous creamy curry that is mostly prepared in Northern India. The Makhana (puffed lotus seeds) are good source of nutrients. This curry is mild and creamy in texture that goes well with Naan and Roti.
Regional Dish: North India
Cuisine Style: Punjab | Cooking Time 30 mins | take it with Roti/Naan | Curry |Quantity 2 servings| Shelf Life: 1day
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving
Calories (150Kcal), Carbohydrates (29.3 g), Protein (5 g), Fat (16.2g).
- Phool makhana 1 cup
- Cashew nuts 2 tbsp.
- Poppy seeds 2 tbsp.
- Ginger garlic paste 1 tbsp.
- Tomatoes 1
- Green chilies 2
- Garam Masala 1 tsp.
- Cumin powder ¼ tsp.
- Coriander powder ¼ tsp.
- Salt and Chili powder as needed
- Turmeric powder ¼ tsp.
- Oil 2 tbsp.
- ½ cup water
- First soak cashew nuts and poppy seeds in two different bowls with some water in each for 10 minutes and then grind them together to a fine paste.
- Now make a puree of tomato and green chilies separately
- Dry roast Makhana in a shallow pan till they become crisp and slightly golden in color, then take them off the heat in to a different bowl.
- In the same pan add oil, once hot add tomato puree and cook on low heat with frequent stirring till the puree gets cooked well , then add the cashew nut poppy seeds paste.
- Add all other powders such as turmeric, chili, garam masala, cumin, and coriander, salt and finally ginger garlic paste and give a nice mix.
- And cook on low heat till the oil is seen at the corners. Now add water and adjust taste.
- To the cooking gravy add makhana that we set aside to this and cover and cook for 5 minutes and take off the heat.
- You can also add onion paste.
- You can add curds
- You can add cream to make it rich.