Pesarattu (పెసరట్టు, பெசரட்டு, मूंग दाल डोसा, ಪೆಸರತ್ತು) Andhra Pesarattu or green moong dal Dosa is a delicious lentil based pancake recipe which is best enjoyed with a spicy ginger chutney. It is a flatbread similar to Dosa, made with batter of moong dal (Green gram or Green beans) except it uses only Moong dal without rice. It is eaten both in breakfast and as snack popular in Andhra Pradesh state in India.It is also called as MLA pesarattu which means attu with upma.
Regional Dish : Andhra; Tamilnadu;Karnataka; Kerala; South India, some places in north India.
Cuisine Style : Andhra |Cooking Time 15 minutes | Take with ginger chutney | Type Breakfast or snack | Shelf Life : half day| Quantity : 4 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values : calculated for 1 serving ( 1nos)
Calories (133 Kcal), Carbohydrates (16.9 g), Protein (6.3 g), Fat (4.9 g).
- Whole moong dal ( pottu pesara pappu) 1 cup
- Rice 1 table spoon
- Onions 2
- Green chilies 4
- Long ginger piece About 1 inch
- Cummin seeds 2 teaspoons
- Salt 1 teaspoon
- Sun flower oil 1 cup
- Add 1 tablespoon rice to 1 cup of whole Moong and soak the mixture in water for 5 hours. Then remove the water and add 1 chopped onion , 4 green chilies, ginger piece, one tea spoon cumin seeds and the salt with a little water. Grind the mixture to a smooth paste.
- Chop the remaining onion into small pieces, mix the cummin seeds ( If your taste buds want it a little hot, chop one or two chilies into small pieces , some ginger pieces too and add these also to the onion cumin seed combination) , keep this aside.
- Put tawa/ skillet on medium heat and grease it with little oil. Pour half a ladle of batter on it and spread it into a thin round layer like a pan cake and drizzle 1 tea spoon of oil around the edges of Pesarattu.
- Sprinkle small quantity of chopped onions mixture which we prepared earlier on the Pesarattu. Cook until the edges become brown.
- Then flip the Pesarattu over and sprinkle 1 tea spoon of oil over the edges. Cook it for a minute , keeping a watch that it does not get charred.
- Remove from skillet on to a serving plate.
- Sprinkle a little water on the skillet and use the same procedure for making your next Pesarattu. Serve it hot with Upma and Ginger chutney.
Other variants / Cuisine Style :1. Pesarattu Upma