Pesarapappu Pulusu (పెసర పప్పు పులుసు, பாசிப் பருப்பு புலுசு, मूंग दल की सब्जी) Pesara Pappu Pulusu is a dish from Andhra Pradesh, a soup which is milder than Sambar. It is usually served warm over plain boiled rice or with warm rotis. It is a soft recipe which varies a little with kandipappu pulusu. It goes well during sunny weather or in summer times especially giving the body a cooling effect and it can be easily digested.
Regional Dish : Andhra; Tamil Nadu; South India.
Cuisine Style : Andhra | Cooking Time 20 minutes | Take with rice or roti | Type Curry | Shelf Life : 2 days if it refrigerated | Quantity : 4 Servings
Appx. Nutritional values : calculated for 1 serving ( 1 cup)
Calories ( 148Kcals), Carbohydrates (18g) , Protein(7.4g), Fat (5.2g)
- Split Mung Dal (washed green gram dal) 1 cup
- Oil 2 tablespoons
- Red Chilies 2 broken into pieces
- Pulusu Podi 1/2 tea spoon
- Tamarind paste 1 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds 1 tea spoon
- Cumin seeds 1 tea spoon
- Sugar 1 teaspoon ( optional)
- Salt 1 teaspoon / as required
- Green chilis 1 cut in to pieces
- Onions 1 small cut in to small pieces
- Curry leaves 4 or 5
- Coriander leaves (chopped) 2 tablespoons
- Asafoetida 1 pinch
- Turmeric powder 1 pinch
- Pressure cook green gram dal in a cooker for 3 to 4 whistles or till the dal is cooked properly of soft consistency and set it a side .
- Now take a wide bottom pan and fry 2 red chilis (cut into pieces) 14 teaspoon mustard seeds, cumin seeds and the pinch of Asafoetida in 2 tablespoons of oil on a low fire till they turn light brown.
- Add the onion pieces and fry for a while till the onions are cooked.
- Add to this one cup of water 1 tea spoon salt, a pinch of turmeric powder, one green chili cut into 2 or 3 pieces, 4 or 5 curry leaves and the coriander leaves. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add 1 tea spoon Tamarind concentrate or the 1/2 cup of tamarind extract prepared , 1/2 teaspoon pulusu podi and 1 teaspoon sugar. Boil for 10 minutes on a low fire.
- Add the boiled Mung dal to the above. Mix well and boil for another 5 minutes. Keep stirring while boiling.
- This is a thick soup not as liquid as Sambar. It is ready to be served with cooked rice or Chapati (unleavened Indian bread).
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1. Pesarapunugula Pulusu.Pesarapappu pulus with out pulusu podi, Pesarapappu pulusu with garlic.