Papaya halwa (കപ്പരയ്ക്കാ ഹല്വ, బొప్పాయి హల్వ, पपीता हल्वा) is Indian sweet/halwa recipe. Papaya is used both raw and cooked , ripe or unripe. It is a fruit with is rich in Nutrients like carrot as it also belongs to same family of red color fruits . It is very good for skin , eyes and intestines. The enzymes in papaya fruit help in making good skin tone when used as a face mask.It has distinct flavor.
Regional dish : Kerala; Andhra; Tamilnadu; Karnataka; Bengali; Punjabi; South and North India and it is an dessert across the world.
Cuisine Style : Kerala | Cooking Time 30 minutes | Take it as snack | Type Sweet | Shelf Life : 2 days if refrigerated.
Appx. Nutritional values calcualted for 1 serving (1cup):
Calories (190 Kcals), carbohydrates (26g), Proteins(1.2g), Fat(3g)
- Papaya ripe (grated/ mashed) 2 cups
- Milk (boiled) 1 cup
- Sugar 1 cup
- A pinch of yellow colour
- Clarified butter (ghee) 4 tbs
Garnishing ingredients :
- Cashewnuts 5
- Badam 5
- Pista 5
- Cardamom powder 1/2 tsp
- Peel the skin, remove the seeds and grate/mash the papaya.
- Roast the garnishing ingredients (except cardamom powder) in 2 tsp of ghee till they turn into light golden colour.
- Allow it to cool then break them into small pieces.
- Now heat a heavy bottomed pan and heat 2 tbsp of ghee.
- Add the grated pappaya and saute on low flame till the raw smell disappears.
- Now add milk and mix well.
- Cook on low flame till the papaya become tender.
- Once the halwa starts to thickening stir continuously for 2-5 mins.
- At this point add sugar, food colour.
- Combine well and cook for further thickness.
- Add the remaining ghee and stir well.
- Cook on low flame till the ghee separates form the mixture.
- Finally add the garnishing ingredients.
- Now your easy and tasty papaya halwa is ready to serve.
- Serve hot or cold.
Other variants : 1. Bopai Halwa with out milk. 2. Badam Papaya halwa. 3. Papaya halwa with condensed milk . 4. Papaya halwa with khoya or mava