Paneer Butter Masala (पनीरबटरमसाला, పనీర్బటర్ మసాలా, পণীরমাখনমশলা, பன்னீர்பட்டர்மசாலா) ss a creamy , semi sweet paneer curry that goes well with roti or naan. This curry is very rich in calories as the name speaks. This is one of the recipe that can be enjoyed in any Indian restaurant all over the world that serves Naan or Roti.
Regional Dish: North India
Cuisine Style: Punjab | Cooking Time 40 mins | take it with Roti/Naan | Curry |Quantity 4 servings| Shelf Life: 1day
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving
Calories (380Kcal), Carbohydrates (29.3 g), Protein (12 g), Fat (26.2g).
- 250 gms Paneer (or Tofu), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium Onions, finely chopped
- 1½ tsp. chopped Ginger
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves
- 3 medium Tomatoes
- 6-8 Cashew Nuts, soaked in water for 15 minutes
- 1 small Bay Leaf
- 2 Green Chilies, slit lengthwise
- 1/2 cup Full Fat Milk
- 2 tsp. Kasuri Methi (dry fenugreek leaves)
- 1/2 tsp. Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tbsp. Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp. Red Chili Powder
- 2 tbsp. Fresh Cream (or homemade malai)
- 2 tbsp. Butter
- 2 tbsp. Oil
- Salt to taste
- If you are using frozen paneer cubes, then defrost them.
- Grind onion, ginger and garlic in a grinder and make paste.
- Grind soaked cashew nuts with 2 tablespoons water to make cashew nut paste.
- Blanch the tomatoes and blend them to prepare tomato puree.
- Heat cooking oil and butter in a non-stick frying pan over medium flame. Add onion paste and bay leaf and sauté until onion paste turns light brown for approx. 4-5 minutes.
- Add green chilli and red chili powder and sauté for 30-40 seconds. Add cashew nut paste.
- Stir and cook for 2-minutes.
- Add tomato puree and cook until oil starts to separate from the puree, it will take around 3-4 minutes.
- Add coriander powder and garam masala powder and mix well.
- Add 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup water and salt; mix and cook until oil comes on the surface or for approx. 4-5 minutes.
- Add paneer cubes, kasuri methi and cook for approx. 2-minutes or until you get the desired consistency of gravy.
- Add fresh cream and mix properly and turn off the flame.
- Transfer prepared curry to a serving bowl. Garnish paneer butter masala with milk cream or cube of butter and serve.
- You can also use chopped onion instead of using crushed onion for variation.
- You can also add shallow fried paneer cubes or can make the same recipe using shallow fried extra firm tofu.
- You can also add some vegetables like red and green bellpeppers