Palak Chicken (पलक चिकन, పాలకూర చికెన్) This recipe comes from Northern part of India, as this recipe is simple and is packed with high protein and Iron because it is made with chicken and spinach. This chicken curry is so different to see and also to taste, one has to give it a try.
Regional Dish: North India
Cuisine Style: Delhi| Cooking Time 45 mins| Take it with rice/ roti| Type Curry| Shelf Life: 1day| Quantity: 6 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving:
Calories (180 Kcals), Carbohydrates (14g), Protein (12 g), Fat (8g).
• Spinach 2 bunches
• Chicken cut in to pieces 1 lb
• Oil 6 tbsp.
• Whole peppercorns 8 nos.
• Bay leaves 2 nos.
• Cloves 8 nos.
• Cardamoms 5 nos.
• Onions finely chopped 2 medium sized
• Garlic finely chopped 6 cloves
• Ginger finely chopped 1 inch piece
• Cumin powder 1 tsp.
• Coriander powder 1tsp.
• Chili Powder ¾ tsp.
• Salt as per taste
• Yougart 5 tbsp.
• Garam Masala Powder ¼ tsp.
1. Wash and finely shred spinach, chop onion, ginger and garlic and keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a thick bottomed vessel; add peppercorns, bay leaves, cloves, cardamoms and sauté for a minute. Add finely chopped onions, ginger and garlic and sauté till onions turn light brown.
3. Add chicken pieces, cumin powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder and a little salt.
4. Stir-fry for a minute, add one tablespoon of yogurt. Stir-fry for a minute, add one more tablespoon of yogurt. Repeat this till all the yogurt has been used up and the chicken turns light brown.
5. Now add spinach and a little more salt to taste. Mix well and stir-fry till the spinach gets well mashed. Cover and cook till the chicken is tender.
6. Remove the cover, add garam masala powder and cook till the gravy is thick.
Serve hot with rice or chapathis or rotis.
Variation: Add a tsp. of fresh cream