No-Bake Macaroni and Cheese The perfect and healthy mac and cheese recipe that doesn’t require much effort which is very filling in every serving. Creamy and cheesy, this Broccoli Macaroni and Cheese Recipe has the entire flavor you’d want it to, but without the added fat and calories.
Regional Dish: America, Europe
Cuisine Style: American| Cooking Time 20 mins| Take it as such | Type Meal| Shelf Life: 1day| Quantity: 4 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving:
Calories (270Kcals), Carbohydrates (22g), Protein (20 g), Fat (10g).
- 2 cups whole wheat Elbow macaroni
- 1 cup frozen chopped broccoli ( if using fresh broccoli than cook for longer time)
- 3 tbsp. wheat flour
- 3/4 cup shredded extra-sharp reduced fat Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp. red chili flakes ( optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta for 4 minutes. Add frozen broccoli and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the pasta and broccoli are just tender, 4 to 5 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 1/4 cups milk in another large pot over medium-high heat until just simmering. Whisk the remaining 1/4 cup milk, flour, salt and pepper in a small bowl until combined. Add the flour mixture to the simmering milk; return to a simmer and cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture is thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in cheddar, Parmesan and mustard until the cheese is melted.
- Drain the pasta and broccoli and add to the cheese sauce. Return to the heat and cook, stirring, over medium-low heat, until heated through, about 1 minute.
- Note: If we want we can add a cube of unsalted butter to make this recipe more creamy, add onions or onion powder.