Nimma Uppu Pindi Pulihora (நிம்ம உப்பு பிண்டி புளிசாதம், నిమ్మ ఉప్పు పిండి పులిహోర, नींबू चावल रवा पुलिहोरा) It is a traditional recipe. Nimma uppu/ citric acid crystals, a substitute for lime and it can be done as a Pindi Pulihora as a tiffin in the evenings. When there is no lime in the fridge this acts as a substitute for lime to make this recipe.
If one has fresh lime / lemon it tastes great.
Can also use concentrate lime/lemon juice.
Regional Dish : Tamil Nadu; Andhra; South India and some place in North India.
Cuisine Style : Tamil Nadu | Cooking Time 25 minutes | Take with pickle, curds | Type Snack, Breakfast | Shelf Life : 1 day| Quantity : 4 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values :calculated for i serving (1cup)
Calories (277 Kcals), Carbohydrates (48g), Protein(5.1g), Fat (6.9g)
- Nimma uppu / citric acid crystals- 1/2 tsp (These crystals should be dissolved in 1 to 2 tbsp of water in a cup, half an hour before making this recipe. It will dissolve completely in water and becomes a substitute for lime juice) can also use fresh lime / lemon / concentrate.
- Rice ravva/Biyyam nuka 2 cups
- Oil 2 to 3 tbsp
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
- Urad daal 1/2 tbsp
- Channa daal 1 tbsp
- Ground nuts 1to 2 tbsp
- Red chillies 3 to 4 made in to slits
- Hing a pinch
- Turmeric a 1/2 tsp
- Green chillies 4 to 5 (made into slits)
- Curry leaves 10 nos
- Dissolve 1/2 tsp of citric acid crystals/ nimma uppu in 2 tbsp of water in a cup separately prior to the starting time of preparation of this recipe.
- Mean while place a heavy bottomed pan on the stove and add 4 cups of water, let it boil. After the boiling starts reduce the flame of the stove and add the rice rava slowly to the boiling water, stirring it continuously. After adding fully cover with a lid and let it cook in a simmer mode till the rava is cooked properly( rice 2 : water 4) .
- After 2 to 3 min switch off the stove and let it cool.
- After 1/2 hour, pour the cooked rava mixture in a wide bottomed plate.
- Spread it and now add the nimma uppu water and salt and turmeric and mix well.
- Now prepare the seasoning, place another small kadai on the stove add oil. After it is heated well, now add channa daal,groundnuts, urad daal, mustard seeds, redchilli slits, let them splutter and mix well. After the spluttering is stopped add hing, green chilli slits and curry leaves and toss well. Now switch off the stove.
- Now pour the prepared seasoning in the ravva mixture and mix well. Adjust the sourness as per trial and error basis method, if u want more sourness add a pinch more of the citric acid crystals.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : Uppudu Pindi Pulihora 2. Pindi Pulihora. 3. Rava Pulihora.4. Add cashew nuts to pulihora.