Nimmakaya Pappu (నిమ్మకాయ పప్పు, नींबू का दाल, எலுமிச்சை பருப்பு) This dal is basic dal that is either prepared with red gram or green gram, but with a twist of lemon. This dal is enjoyed with ghee and any other curries as side with rice or roti. It is rich in proteins.
Regional Dish: All parts of India
Cuisine Style: Andhra | Cooking Time 20 mins| Take it with rice/ roti | Type Dal| Shelf Life: 1 day| Quantity: 3 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving
Calories (172Kcals), Carbohydrates (21g), Protein (6.2g), Fat (5.5g).
- 1cup split red gram dal, yellow lentil or split and washed green gram dal
- 1tsp turmeric powder
- 2-3 green chilies-slit in between
- Salt to taste
- Lemon Juice to taste
- 3cups Water
For Tadka /Seasoning:
- 1/2tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 dry red chili broken into pieces
- Curry leaves 1 sprig
- ½ tsp. Asefodeita
- Wash and pressure cook the dal with turmeric and 2-1/2 cups of water. Cook for 2-3 whistles i.e. mainly till the dal is cooked well.
- When dal is done, mash it and add a cup of water, salt and cooks on medium heat for 4-5 minutes and dish this out in to a serving bowl.
- Take a pan add oil let it get hot, when hot add mustard seeds let it splutter. Later add Cumin seeds, green chilies, red chili, curry leaves, Asefodieta, fry for few seconds and add this seasoning to the dal and mix well.
- Now it’s time to squeeze lemon juice in to dal, check the taste and serve either with rice or roti with a generous amount of ghee.
Note: Cook green gram dal in a cook pot, rather than pressure cooking as the texture will be different.