Munagaku Pappu (முனைக்கு பப்பு, మునగాకు పప్పు, सहजन पत्ते दल) is very tasty, it can be made along with “Chana dal” ,”Moong dal” or “Toor dal”. Dal should not be mashed as its a dry dal variety. Drumstick leaves are rich in vitamin c and Iron.
Regional Dish : Tamil Nadu; Andhra; South India.
Cuisine Style : Tamil Nadu | Cooking Time 20 minutes | Take with Rice | Type Curry | Shelf Life : 1 day | Quantity : 4 Servings
Appx. Nutritional values : calculated for 1 serving ( 2tbsps)
Calories (151Kcals), Carbohydrates(21g), Protein(8.5g), Fat(1.5g)
- Moong Dal 1 cup
- Drumstick leaves(cut and cleaned) 1/2 cup
- Coconut gratings 1 tbsp
- Lemon Juice 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Ghee 1 tsp
- Mustard 1/2 tsp
- Cumin 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal 1/2 tsp
- Green Chillies 4-5
- Red Chillies 2-3
- Curry leaves 4-5
- Ginger(grated) 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
- Pepper powder 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Warm up Moong Dal (dry roast until it becomes just hot to touch)
- Note: Warm any dal like above and later pressure cook so that the dal will not become soft and also has different roasted aroma to the recipe.
- Now pressure cook dal with 2 cups of water ( for 3 whistles).
- Cook the cut Drumstick leaves in a vessel. (just 1-2 minute is enough.Do not over cook)
- In a small pan add ghee and make the seasoning adding all the seasoning ingredients.
- After the moong dal is cooked, add to the cooked drumstick leaves. Add Coconut gratings, salt. Mix well.
- Add little water according to the consistency you like.
- Add the seasoning. Boil the contents on medium heat.
- Finally turn off the heat and add Lemon juice and mix well.
- This Dal can be served with hot Rice or Chapatis.
Other Varients / Cuisine Style: 1. Munagaku Kandipappu 2. Munagaku Senagapappu
No comments yet.