Mullakada Tomato Kura (മുരിങ്ങക്കായ് ടാമോട കറി, ములగకాడ టమోటా కూర, दृम्स्तिक्क टमाटर करी) It is one of the curry that every south indian likes to eat , especially the drumsticks that come in summer , which is widely used in sambar which has a distinct flavor. The delectable combination of fresh drumsticks with tarty tomatoes creates a heavenly aroma and tastes divine.
Regional Dish : Kerala; Andhra; Tamil Nadu; South India and North India.
Cuisine Style : Kerala | Cooking Time 30 minutes | Take with Rice | Type Curry | Shelf Life : 2 days if refrigerated | Quantity: 5 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values : calcualted for 1 serving ( 2 tbsps)
Calories ( 120 Kcals) , Carbohydrates(15 g), Protein(2g), Fat (2g)
Ingredients to serve :
- Tomatoes 5 nos
- Onions (medium) 2 nos
- Green chillies 3 nos
- Drumsticks ( cut in to small pieces of about 10 pieces)
- Chilly powder 1 tbsp or as required
- Turmeric powder 1/2 tbsp
- Curry leaves A few
- Grated coconut 1 cup
- Garlic pods 1 no
- Cumin seeds 1/2 tbsp
- Salt As required
- Curd 1 cup
For seasoning :
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
- Small onion 1 no
- Curry leaves A few
- Grind together coconut, cumin seed and garlic.
- Remove the skin of drumsticks and cut into small pieces and cut tomatoes and onions into long, thin pieces.
- Heat about 300 ml of water in a vessel.
- Add drumsticks, tomatoes and onions along with salt, turmeric, chilly powder, few curry leaves and chopped green chillies.
- Add more water, if reqd.
- The vegetables should be completely immersed in water.
- Cover the pan with a lid and allow it to boil.
- Cook on a low flame, till vegs. Are well cooked.
- Add the ground mixture and cook, till it is thick without too much water, but enough water for gravy.
- Allow it to cool.
- Add curd and stir well.
- At the end it should have enough gravy, not too thick, not too runny.
- When it’s warm through, remove from fire. Do not boil it.
- Add more salt, if needed.
- Heat oil in a pan or a kadai.
- Splutter mustard seeds.
- Add chopped small onion and curry leaves and saute.
- Add the above seasoning into the curry and mix well.
- Serve with rice.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : None.