Moong Dal Curry and Cucumber Idli ( ಸೌತೆಕಾಯಿ ಇಡ್ಲಿ & ಮೂಂಗ್ ಕುರಿ, வெள்ளரிக்காய் இட்லி & மூங் டல் சுற்றி, मूंग दाल & ककड़ी इडली) is a quintessential part of Konkani traditional cooking. Cucumber Idli are instant idlies and requires no grinding and also no fermentation. There is no compromise in taste and the aroma is heavenly.
Regional dish: Goa; Karnataka; South India; Some places in North India.
Cuisine Style : Goa | Cooking Time : 30 minutes | Type Breakfast| Take as such | Shelf life 1 day | Quantity: 3 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values : calculated for 1 serving (1 cup dhal, 2 nos idli).
Calories (197Kcals), Carbohydrates(28.4g), Protein(13.6g), Fat (3.8g) for Moong dal.
Calories ( 120Kcals),Carbohydrates(42g), Protein( 4g), Fat (0g) for 2 idlis
Ingredients for Moong curry:
- 1 cup green whole moong/ whole green gram
Masala to grind:
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 3-4 red chillies
- Juice of lemon sized tamarind
- Salt to taste
- Oil (preferable coconut oil)
1. Soak the Moong in water for about 8-10 hours. Drain the water completely and keep it covered and let the moong sprout.
2. After the moong is sprouted, pressure cook it with sufficient water. Make sure that the moong is not turned into a paste, but is still separate.
3. Make a fine paste of coconut, red chillies, tamarind and salt adding little water and keep aside.
1. Take a heavy bottom pan, add the cooked moong along with water and add the ground masala paste stirring in between. Let it come to a boil.
2. Make a tadka of mustard and let it splutter; add curry leaves, hind and red chillies. Cehck for salt and other seasonings.
3. Add this tadka to the boiled moong, masala mixture and cover it immediately.
Ingredients for Cucumber Idli:
- 1 big cucmber
- 1 cup of idli rava (more or less depending on the cucumber gratings)
- Handful of coriander leaves
- 4-5 green chillies
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
1. Peel the cucumber and grate it. Retain the seeds of the cucumber but drain the cucumber water completely. Squeeze the cucumber to drain out additional water.
2. Chop up the green chilies and coriander leaves very finely.
3. Add the idli rava, coconut, green chilies, coriander leaves to grated cucumber and mix well. Add salt as required. Keep aside for 30 minutes. (Note: Try not to drain water at this time, try to retain as far as possible. But if it is too liquidy then drain the water)
1. Grease the idli stand and pour the cucumber mixture in each groove.
2. Steam this in a pressure cooker without whistle for 15 minutes.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : None.