Mexican rice(मैक्सिकन चावल) is also called as Spanish rice that is a part of side dish in any Mexican food. It can be enjoyed as such as it is loaded with flavors or enjoyed with pinto beans, salsa, sour cream and guacamole.
Regional Dish: Mexico, Spain
Cuisine Style: Mexico| Preparation Time: 45 mins | Take it as such | Type:r ice| Shelf Life : 1 day| Quantity : 8 servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving :
Calories (280.1 Kcal), Carbohydrates (42.4g), Protein (5.3 g), Fat (9.8 g).
- 12 ounces tomatoes, very ripe and cored
- 1 medium white onion
- 3 medium jalapenos
- 2 cups white rice
- 1/3 cup oil
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 2 cups broth ( chicken / vegetable)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped finely
- 1 lime wedges
- Adjust rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350.
- Process tomato and onion in processor or blender until pureed and thoroughly smooth. Transfer mixture to measuring cup and reserve exactly 2 cups.
- Remove ribs and seeds from 2 jalapenos and discard. Mince flesh and set aside. Mince remaining jalapeno. Set aside.
- Place rice in a fine mesh strainer and rinse under cold running water until water runs clear- about 1 1/2 minutes and remove excess water. This step removes the starch from the rice so it will not stick.
- Heat oil in heavy bottomed oven safe pan or Dutch oven with tight fitting lid over low-medium heat about 2 minutes.
- Drop a few rice grains in and if they sizzle then it is ready. Add rice and fry stirring until rice is light golden and translucent, about 6-8 minutes. Be careful that the oil doesn’t get too hot too fast or the oil will splatter.
- Reduce heat to medium, add garlic and 2 minced jalapenos and cook, stirring constantly until fragrant, about 1 1/2 minutes.
- Stir in broth, pureed mixture, tomato paste, and salt. Increase heat to medium high, and bring to a boil.
- Cover pan and transfer pan to oven to bake until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, 30-35 minutes. Stir well after 15 minutes. Or can be cooked on stove on medium heat with covered till done.
- Stir in cilantro, minced jalapeno to taste, and pass lime wedges separately.