Menthikura pappu (మెంతికుర పప్పు, மேந்தி பப்பு, मेथी दाल) is one of those green leafy veggies, when cooked, dazzles & grabs your attention by its wonderful aroma and makes you try and like it. This dal can be prepared like dry and soft as both of them have their own taste
Regional Dish : Andhra Pradesh (Rayalaseema); Tamilnadu; South India.
Cuisine Style : Andhra Pradesh | Cooking time 20-30 mins | Take with Rice or roti | Type Dal | Shelf Life : 1 day | Quantity : 4 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values : calcualted for 1 serving ( 2tbs)
Calories (57.6 Kcal), Carbohydrates (8.1 g), Protein ( 2.0 g), Fat ( 2.1 g).
- Thuvar Dhal 1 cup
- Fenugreek Leaves/Menthi Kura Aaku 1/2 bunch (1 cups)
- Red Onion 1 small
- Green Chillies 5 nos.
- Tomato 1 medium
- Tamarind small lime size
- Turmeric Powder 1/2 tbsp
- Red Chilly Powder 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Water as needed
- Salt to taste
For Tempering :
- Oil 1 tbsp
- Garlic Cloves 2 nos. (crushed)
- Asafoetida a pinch
- Mustard Seeds 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves few
- Red Chillies 2 nos. (broken)
- Wash Thuvar Dhal, pick Fenugreek Leaves and wash them a couple of times. Peel and slice Onions, chop the Tomatoes, slit Green Chillies lengthwise and extract Tamarind Juice.
- In a presuure cooker heat Oil add the Onion and Green Chillies cook for 2 mins, then drop the Tomatoes and mix them well.
- Add the washed Thuvar Dhal, Asafoetida and Red Chilly Powder (optional) cook for a min or two. Pour 3 cups of Water and the Tamarind Extract then goes the Fenugreek Leaves close the presure cooker and cook until the Dhal is done or upto 4-5 whistles.
- After the presure is released open the cooker adjust Salt and mix the dhal well.
- In a pan add oil and all the ingredients for seasoning , saute once done add to the prepared dal.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1. methi moong dal 2. Tamato methi pappu. 3. Methi dal with lentils. 4. dal is first dry roast to get dry variety.