Masala Dosa (மசாலா தோசை, మసాల దోస, मसाला दोसा) is one of the most popular among the South Indian recipes. It is a typical South Indian dish, eaten mostly for breakfast and is rich in carbohydrates and protein.
Religion Dish : Tamil Nadu; Andhra; Karnataka; South India and North India.
Cuisine Style : Tamil Nadu | Cooking Time 20 minutes | Taken With Potato curry | Type Breakfast | Shelf Life :1 day |Quantity: 6 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values : calculated for 1 serving ( 2 nos)
Calories (510 K cal), Carbohydrates (65 g), Protein (8.5 g), Fat (1 g).
Ingredients to serve :
- Rice 1 1/2cup
- Black gram/Urad dal 1/2cup
- Thick poha/Aval 1 handful
- Fenugreek seeds 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
For Potato Masala:
- Potatoes 2nos (big)
- Onions 1no (medium,finely,chopped)
- Green Chillies 4nos or according to ur spice level (finely chopped)
- Cashew nuts 2tbs (broken)
- Mustard seeds 1/2tsp
- Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
- Cilantro for garnishing
- Curry leaves Few
- Salt to taste
- Pressure cook or microwave the potatoes and mash them.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds. When they splutter, add broken cashews, curry leaves and fry for a minute.
- Add green chillies and chopped onions. Saute till the onions turn golden brown and now add turmeric powder and mix it well.
- Now add the mashed potatoes and 1/4 a cup of water.
- Add salt to taste. When it comes to a boil cover and cook it on a low flame for about 10 minutes.
- Finally turn off the heat and garnish with chopped cilantro.
Preparation for Masala Dosa :
- Heat a flat tava/griddle and grease it with a teaspoon of oil.
- Pour a ladle full of Dosa Batter and prepare the dosas as thin as possible. Fry on one side only with enough oil till crisp.
- Keep a tablespoon of potato masala on the one side of dosa.
- Fold the dosa over it.
- Serve hot with Coconut Chutney or Sambar.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : None.