Masala Chai/ Tea (मसाला चाय, మసాలా చాయ్, மசாலா சாய், મસાલા ચાઇ) In India, teas are defined by the regions in which they are grown. Therefore we have Darjeeling Tea, Assam Tea, Nilgiri Tea & Orissa Tea. Chai” is the hindi word for Tea. Indian tea is full bodied with milk and strong. Known throughout the world and adored by millions. Today Indian teas come in a wide range of flavors and strengths. Other varieties like lasa and lamsa which have chocolate flavor.
The tea in India dates back to kings times; it is enjoyed in the afternoon during snack time or anytime. It helps in digestion so it is enjoyed after heavy meals too. Earlier it was restricted to Northern, eastern and western parts of India where tea is cultivated, But now it is enjoyed by everyone all over India.
It can be prepared just ordinary tea without any spices and can be made rich with using one or many spices according to once taste by making it masala chai. There is on more tea that is unique and we can only get them in Iranian cafes in India called as Irani chai.
Regional Dish: North India , Now allover India
Cuisine Style: Delhi| Cooking Time 20 minutes | Take it as such | Type Drink | Shelf Life: 1day |Quantity: 4 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving
Calories (40 Kcals), Carbohydrates (1.2 g), Protein (2.0), Fat (2.2g).
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 3 black tea bags ( Indian variety or 3 tsp. loose Indian tea powders , no green tea varieties)
- 2 cardamom pods, crushed
- 2 whole pepper corns, crushed
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 2 cloves
- Sugar, to taste
- Take a heavy bottom tea pot, put on low flame and add 2 cups of water. To this add cardamom, pepper, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and tea powder/bags and allow it to brew.
- Once you get a thick brown color tea decoction; add milk and bring in to boil and simmer it for 5 minutes, the more the tea simmers its taste intensifies.
- Note: You can add sugar to the simmering tea itself or can add individually according to once requirement and mix well.
- Now Strain the tea through a strainer and serve hot.
Variations: Add dry ginger, Add fennel seeds, Add poppy seeds, Add a pinch of salt as it enhances the sweetness, Replace sugar with jaggery, Replace sugar with sugar substitutes.