Mango Dal (మామిడికాయ పప్పు, மாங்காய் பருப்பு, आम की दाल) This is an Andhra preparation of dal with unripe sour mango and other spices. The tartness of mango gives this dal an unique taste, which you can enjoy with some rice. Mango Dal is a simple Dal cooked with raw green Mangoes usually during the hot hot summer months in India. It had to be cooked during summer because that was the Mango Season of course.
Regional Dish : Andhra; Tamilnadu; Maharastra; Kerala; Bengal; South India.
Cuisine Style : Andhra | Cooking Time 25 minutes | Take with rice and roti | Type Dal | Shelf Life : 1 day| Quantity : 4 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values : calcualted for 1 serving ( 1/2 cup)
Calories ( 186 Kcal), Carbohydrates ( 33 g ), Protein (9 g), Fat (3 g).
- Toor dal (Kandi pappu ) 100gms
- Raw or green mango (Mamidikaya) medium , peeled and cubed
- Onion 1
- Chillies 3
- Turmaric powder 1/4 tsp
- Red chilli powder 1 1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves
- Oil 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds 1/4 tsp
- Urad dal 1/2tsp
- Chann dal 1/2 tsp
- Crushed garlic flakes 5 pcs
- Curry leaves for taste few
- Soak dal in a cooker for half an hour in two cups of water.
- Add choped onion , chillies, mango pieces.
- Cook up to three whistles , once the pressure is gone , open the lid .
- Mash dal and add salt, chilli powder, and turmeric or ( cook directly with out cooker)
- Heat oil in a pan and do seasoning .
- Add chana dal, urad dal, cumin seeds, mustard seeds,Wait to splutter. Add red chillies, crushed garlic flakes, few curry leaves .
- Add this seasoning to mango dal and mix well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with rice , ghee, papad , jowar roti.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1. Mamidikaya palakura pappu 2. Mamidikaya Thotakura pappu. 3. Mamidikaya pesarapappu.4. Mamidikaya gangabailakura.