Mamidikaya avabadhalu (మమిడికాయ అవబద్దలు) Mamidikaya, means green mango. This recipe hails from the coastal regions of Andhra Pradesh. During summers from the day the mangoes start growing, they prepare this recipe.
Regional Dish: Andhra Pradesh
Cuisine Style: Andhra Pradesh| Cooking Time 15 minutes | Take it Rice | Type Chutney | Shelf Life: 3 days| Quantity: 10 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving
Calories (20Kcals), Carbohydrates (1.5g), Protein (0.2g), Fat (2g).
- 1 Medium green mango
- Oil 2 tbsp.
- Salt 1tsp. (or adjust)
- Turmeric powder ¼ tsp.
For Tampering/ talimpu/ tadka
- 1 tsp. Oil
- Mustard seeds 2 tsp.
- Fenugreek seeds 1/2 tsp.
- Dry red chilies 4 no’s broken in to pieces
- Hing ( asafoetida) ¼ tsp.
- Select a firm green medium sized mango, wash and wipe clean and dry.
- Cut the mango in to bite sized small pieces with the skin on. Note: the cutting board and the working area should be free of moisture.
- Take a big , bowl add the mango pieces , salt , oil turmeric powder and keep a side
- In a small pan add 1tsp. of oil when its hot add mustard, red chilies. fenugreek and hing, once they pop up, take them off the flame and allow them to cool.
- Once cool grind this mixture and add it to the prepared mango pieces and mix well. Adjust salt , allow it it sit for an hour and then enjoy with hot steamed rice and ghee or a side with roti
Variations: Add crushed raw garlic