Malai Kofta (મળી કોફતા, ਮਲਾਈ ਕੋਫਤਾ, மலை கோபா, मलई कोफ्ता) A creamy rich tomato gravy with cottage cheese dumplings. A dish for special occassions, Malai Kofta is the vegetarian alternative to meatballs. It goes very well with naans (tandoor-baked flatbread) or Jeera Rice.
Regional Dish : Gujarat; Punjab; North India.
Cuisine Style : Gujarat| Cooking Time 45 minutes|Take it with chapati or Roti | Type Curry| Shelf Life : 1 day| Quantity 6 servings
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving:
Calories (250 Kcal), Carbohydrates (35 g), Protein (4 g), Fat (21 g).
For the Kofta:
- Potatoes 11/2 lb.
- Crumbled paneer 2heaped tbsp,
- Khoya and thick malai(You can substitute this with baked ricotta cheese and heavy cream)
- Cashew nuts 4-5 chopped
- Raisins 1 tbsp
- Finely chopped green chillies 2-3
- Sugar 1/4 tsp
- Coriander powder 1 tsp
- Cumin powder 1 tsp
- Red-chilli powder 1 tsp
- Cardamon powder 1/2 tsp
- Salt To Taste
- Cooking oil/ghee 3 tbsp (clarified butter)
- Oil for frying the koftas
For the gravy:
- Medium onions 2,chopped
- Flakes garlic 3,crushed
- Inch ginger 1,crushed
- Large tomatoes 3 ,pureed
- Red-chilli 11tbsp powder
- Garam 1/2 tspmasala powder
- Dhania1/2 tsp (coriander) powder
- Cumin powder 1/2 tsp
- Powdered poppy seeds 2 tsp
- Sugar 1/2 tsp
- Ground peanuts/cashew nut
1. Boil the potatoes till tender.
2. Peel, mash and add salt to taste.
3. Keep aside.
4. Mix all the other ingredients for the kofta into a paste.
5. Make rounds of the potato dough and place a little of the prepared mixture in the center of each round.
6. Peal the edges and shape into stuffed rounds. Deep fry each kofta till golden brown. Drain and keep aside.
7. Blend together the onions, ginger, garlic and the poppy seeds and fry in 3 tbsp of oil till brown and the oil begins to separate.
8. Add the pureed tomatoes and the masala powders.
9. Add the sugar and the ground peanuts.
10. The gravy will begin to thicken.
11. Now add some malai to thicken it some more.
12. Mix in some water if necessary.
13. When the gravy comes to a boil, add the koftas.
14. Heat through and serve the malai kofta.
15. Note: In this malai kofta receipe , the koftas should be put in just before eating the dish or else they will turn soggy.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : None.