Malabar Chicken Curry (मालाबार चिकन करी,മലബാര്ചിക്കന്കറി, మలబార్ చికెన్ కూర) This is authentic curry prepared in Malabar region of Kerala. In this the chicken curry is made with fried coconut and coconut milk that makes is very much different from other chicken curries. Which has the richness and flavor fullness and creamy texture of coconut in every helping when we eat this curry with rice or chapathi. It is called as Varutharacha Kozhi curry.
Regional Dish: Kerala
Cuisine Style: Kerala | Cooking Time 45 mins | Take it with Rice/ Chapathi | Type Curry| Shelf Life : 1 day| Quantity : 4 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving:
Calories (210Kcal), Carbohydrates (19g), Protein (8g), Fat (12g).
- Chicken 600gms. ( cut in to medium size pieces)
- Onion 1 ( medium size , thinly sliced)
- Tomato 1 ( big size, thinly sliced)
- Ginger paste 1 tbsp.
- Garlic paste 1 tbsp.
- Oil 2 tbsp.
- Green chilies 4 nos.
- Coconut milk 1 cup
- Salt to taste
- To make masala paste
- Onion 1 (big , thinly sliced)
- Dry grated coconut/ fresh / frozen shredded 1/3 cup.
- Curry leaves 3 sprigs
- Dried red chilies 4 nos.
- Coriander seeds 3 tbsp.
- Cardamom 2 nos.
- Cloves 4 nos.
- Cinnamon 1 inch stick
- Oil 1 tbsp.
- For tempering
- Onion ½ ( sliced thinly)
- Curry leaves 2 sprigs
- Oil 1 tbsp.
- Salt as needed.
- Heat 1 tbsp. of oil in a pan. Add 1 sliced onion and sauté till it turns slight brown in color.
- Add fresh curry leaves and sauté for a minute.
- Add coriander seeds, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and dried red chilies and sauté till nice aroma starts to come out. It may take 2-3 minutes. Finally add coconut and reduce the heat. Sauté till it turns slight brown in color. Make sure you don’t burn the coconut.
- Switch off the heat and transfer this mixture into a dish. Let it cool down little bit.
- Add this mixture into a blender and make a smooth paste by adding 1/3 cup of water. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add thinly sliced onion and saute till it turns translucent. Add ginger and garlic paste and saute till raw smell from ginger-garlic goes away.
- Add tomato, green chilies, turmeric powder and salt to taste. Cook till tomato gets mashed up with onion.
- Add chicken pieces and ground masala. Mix well and cover the pan. Let the chicken cook for 15 minutes. Keep stirring in between.
- Add coconut milk to adjust the consistency of the curry as per your own requirement.
- Switch off the heat and dish it in to a serving bowl.
- For making tadka/tempering, heat oil in a pan. Add sliced onion and saute till it turns golden brown in color. Add curry leaves and pinch of salt. Saute for a minute.
- Pour this tempering on the curry in serving bowl. Serve hot with chapathi or rice
Variations: Use coconut oil. Use fried onions in tadka. Use fennel seeds. Use pepper powder. Use chili powder. Use Garam Masala powder.