Majjiga [Butter Milk] Pulusu ( మజ్జిగ పులుసు, மஜ்ஜிக புலுசு, मठ्ठा पुलुसू ) There are numerous ways to prepare Majjiga Pulusu, our Andhra version of Kadhi, a buttermilk based stew. This pale yellow colored stew calls for vegetables cooked in a delectable combination of fresh coconut-green chillis paste and well beaten sour curd. Vegetables like okra, bottle gourd and drumsticks are usually used to prepare this sweet-sour flavored sauce with a tinge of spice that tickles your taste buds, though you could also use sweet potatoes, tomatoes, greens and potatoes.
Regional Dish:Andhra Pradesh; some places of South India.
Cuisine Style: Andhra Pradesh | Cooking Time 30min | Take with Rice | Type Lunch | Shelf Life: 2 days if refrigerated | Quantity : 4 sevings.
Appx. Nutritional values calcualted for 1 serving ( 1cup):
Calories (42.2 Kcal), Carbohydrates( 17.7 g), Protein( 2.5 g), Fat (2.2 g).
Ingredients to serve:
- Sliced (optional), 1 onion
- Cubed vegetables (bottle gourd (sorakaya) /ladyfingers ( Benda )/drumsticks (munaga kaya)/potatoes/sweet potatoes) 2cups
- Spinach chopped 1 cup
- Big pinch turmeric pwd
- Thick curd (slightly sour curd) 2 cups
- Water 1 cup
- Salt to taste
- Grated fresh coconut 4 tbsps
- Green chillis 3
- Fresh coriander leaves (optional) 1-2 tbsps
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
- Methi seeds 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
- Pinch of hing/asafoetida (optional)
- Fresh curry leaves 10-12
- Dry red chilli, de-seed and tear (optional) 2
- Oil 1/2 tbsp
1. Take a paste of grated coconut, green chillis and coriander leaves without adding any water.
2. Beat the curd well adding water to form a smooth sauce like consistency.
3. Combine the ground paste with the beaten curd and keep aside.
4. Add half a cup of water to the cubed vegetables, spinach and (1/2 tsp salt) except the onions and cook till they are half-cooked. Keep aside.
5. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and let them pop, add the cumin seeds, methi seeds and let them turn slightly brown. Add the curry leaves, red chillis and asafoetida, turmeric pwd and toss for a few seconds. Add the onions and saute for 4 mts before adding the cooked vegetables (along with left over water if any) and combine well.
6. Add the curd-coconut mixture to the vegetables and on low heat, cook stirring continuously, otherwise it might curdle. Adjust
7. The salt and cook till the vegetables absorb the flavors and the gravy thickens. Do not boil. Turn off heat. Cover lid and let it sit for a few minutes before serving for the flavors to absorb.
8. Serve with white rice.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : Majjiga Pulusu with spinach , with amaranth , with malabar spinach , with Brinjal , with some bajjis , with pakodis