Lima Beans Curry (लाइमा बीन्स सब्जी, లిమా బీన్స్ కూర, ಲಿಮಾ ಬೀನ್ಸ್) also known as butter beans, are legumes that are a great source of cholesterol-lowering fiber and protein. They have
a wonderful buttery, starchy texture and are quite filling. This curry can be prepared with dry or frozen beans. The curry is very simple and nutritious which can be enjoyed with rice or roti.
Regional Dish: North India, Karnataka, Maharashtra.
Cuisine Style: Delhi| Cooking Time 20 mins | Take it with Rice/ roti| Type Curry| Shelf Life: 1 day| Quantity: 2 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving:
Calories (190Kcal), Carbohydrates (15g), Protein (6g), Fat (3g)
- 1 cup dry Lima Beans (soaked overnight) or frozen once.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½ tsp. Mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp. Turmeric powder
- 3 green chilies slit
- ½ tsp. Cumin seeds
- ½ tsp. Chili powder
- 2 tsp. ginger grated (optional)
- 3-4 curry leaves
- handful chopped coriander leaves
- Salt as needed
- 1 tbsp. Oil
- Make sure that the beans are soaked overnight or for about 8-10 hours in enough water.
- Drain the water completely and pressure cook the beans using sufficient water. (Be careful as the Lima Beans cooks very fast, I usually turn it off after 2 whistles). Allow to cool.
- Take a heavy bottom pan. Add oil and prepare the seasoning with mustard, curry leaves, cumin seeds.
- Add the onion and green chilies and sauté until the onion turns transparent. Add turmeric, salt and mix well.
- Meanwhile open the pressure cooker and drain the cooked water into another vessel .
- Add the cooked beans to the onion mixture and stir well. Check for taste. Add more salt, chili powder is required.
- Finally add ginger (optional) and garnish with coriander leaves.
Variations: Add tomato, Add fresh coconut, Add coriander powder, Add ginger garlic paste, Add other vegetables to make mixed vegetable curry, Add whole spices, Add garam masala, Add yogurt, Make Lima beans rice. Make salad.