Lima Beans Curry (లీమా చిక్కుడు కూర, லீமா சிக்குடு கூற, ಲಿಮ ಬೆಂಸ್ ಕುರಿ, लाइमा बीन्स करी) Like most other legumes, Lima Beans are said to have properties that aid in lowering cholesterol, are high in dietary fiber and especially good for diabetic people as it prevents the blood-sugar level from rising after a meal.
Regional Dish : Tamilnadu; Andhra Pradesh; Karnataka; Kerala; South India; North India.
Cuisine Style : Tamilnadu| Cooking Time 25 minutes | Take with rice or chapati| Type curry | Shelf Life : 1 day| Quantity 4 servings
Appx. Nutritional Values calculated for 1 serving :
Calories (160.0 Kcal), Carbohydrates (15.0 g), Protein (4.0 g), Fat (0.0 g).
- Frozen Lima Beans 2 cups
- Onion 1 finely chopped
- Tomatoes 2 medium size chopped
- Green Chillies 2 slight lengthwise
- Kasoori Methi/Dried Fenugreek leaves 2 tbs
- Cumin seeds 0.25 tsp
- Turmeric powder a pinch
- Coriander/Dhaniya powder 0.25 tsp
- Yogurt 1 tbs
- Salt and Chilly powder to taste.
1. Boil the Lima Beans for about 3 minutes and keep aside.
2. Heat 2 tbs oil in a skillet. Add cumin seeds and allow them to sizzle. Add onions, turmeric powder and saute until onions begin to change color.
3. Add chopped tomatoes and green chillies. Add salt and chilly powder. Stir, Cover and continue to cook for a minute or so. Remove lid and mash the tomato into a pulp.
4. Add fenugreek leaves and coriander powder. Mix well and cook for another minute. When most of the water gets evaporated, add 1 tbs of yogurt and mix.
5. Add the boiled Lima beans and 0.25 cups of water. Cover and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Remove lid and continue cooking until water evaporates or curry reaches desired consistency.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1. Lima beans Curry (with the paste of ginger, grated coconut, fennel seeds).