Lemon Pickle (నిమ్మకాయ ఊరగాయ, எலுமிச்சை பிக்களே, नींबू अचार) Diced, quartered, halved, or whole lemons are pickled in salt water brine, lemon juice, and salt; occasionally spices are included as well. The pickle is allowed to ferment at room temperature for weeks or months before it is used. The pulp of the preserved lemon can be used in stews and sauces, but it is the peel (zest and pit together) that is most valued. The flavor is mildly tart but intensely lemony.
Regional Dish : Andhra ; Tamilnadu; South India.
Cuisine Style : Andhra | Cooking Time 40 minutes | Take it as side dish for curd rice | Type pickle | Shelf Life : 5 months | Quantity : 20 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values :calcualted for 1 serving (1Tablespoon)
Calories (22 Kcal), Carbohydrates (12 g), Protein (1 g), Fat (0 g).
- Lemon 6 small or 4 large
- Red chilli powder 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tspoon
- Fenugreek /Methi seeds 1/2 tspoon
- Mustard seeds 1/4 t.spoon
- Hing 1/4 t.spoon
- Salt 1/4 cup
- Cooking oil 1/4 cup
- Cut lemon into small pieces, add salt, turmeric, and keep it aside for 4-5 days.
- Add red chilli powder to this lemon and mix it well.
- Roast methi seeds and dry grind it and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, and add mustard, and hing and let it cool.
- When the above oil becomes room temperature, mix it with the lemon, and add the roasted methi powder.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1.One can and freshly crushed or whole garlic too. 2. Variation by using jaggery or brown sugar .