Lauki Halwa (लौकी का हलवा , సొరకాయ హల్వ, બોટલ તુંબડી કે તુંબડું કા હલવા)
This halwa is also called as Dudhi / Bottle gourd halwa. It is mainly prepared in Northern states of India, but now it is prepared and enjoyed all over the world, after carrot halwa. There are lot of ways this halwa is prepared. Some make with sweetened condensed milk, some make with milk and sugar, and some make with khoya (evaporated milk). This recipe is made by combining all the ingredients to get a dessert that can be enjoyed by everyone at any time.
Regional Dish: Delhi, North India
Cuisine Style: Delhi | Cooking Time 30 mins | Take it as such | Type Sweet | Shelf Life: 3 days refrigerated |Quantity: 5 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving
Calories (210 Kcals), Carbohydrates (20.8 g), Protein (3), Fat (14.2g).
- 2 cups freshly grated bottle gourd after peeling the skin.
- 3 tbsp. ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 cup milk
- 250 ml sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 tsp. cardamom powder
- 3 tbsp. raisins
- 4 tbsp. chopped cashew nuts
- 6 almonds (blanched in hot water for 5 mins and skin peeled)
- 3 tbsp. khoya (also called as mawa / evaporated milk)
- A pinch of salt
- Take a heavy bottomed wide saucepan. Place it on low heat. Add ghee to it, once the ghee melts.
- Add grated bottle gourd into it and keep stirring nicely for 5 mins so the raw smell can be removed.
- Combine milk, sweetened condensed milk to the bottle gourd and cook for 7 to 10 mins on low heat and once again keep stirring in between to avoid burning.
- Now add chopped cashews, blanched almonds, cardamom powder, salt and raisins. Cook for another 5 mins and keep stirring.
- It’s time to add khoya (evaporated milk). The mixture would be 1/2 of its size. It will start getting thicker; keep cooking till all the water evaporates.
- Once the desired consistency is reach, if you want to add edible green food color , do it and mix well.
- Dish out and serve either warm or chilled, You can also top it with some rabri or ice cream.
Variations: Use half carrot and half bottle gourd. Use Nutmeg powder. Using different nuts.