Kushari (कुशारी) This is a traditional Egyptian dish made with green lentils, pasta and rice mixed together with caramelized onions. It is served with a tomato based topping and finished off with a crispy onion garnish. It is best served hot with a side of garden salad. It is one of the vegetarian dishes that are widely enjoyed. This recipe is made with a twist to suite Indian palate. It is rich of proteins, lot of color, texture and to say it is a complete meal.
Regional Dish: Egypt
Cuisine Style: Indian | Cooking Time 45 mins| Take it as such | Type Meal | Shelf Life: 1 day| Quantity: 6 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving
Calories (305Kcals), Carbohydrates (52g), Protein (11.2g), Fat (7.5g).
Ingredients for Kushari:
- 1 cup whole masoor dal
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups any type of macaroni
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 6 tbsp. oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup Chick peas (garbanzo , whole channa)
- Pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. Cumin powder ( Dry roast and grind)
- 1 Lemon
- Red Chili flakes (optional)
- 1 small onion, diced finely
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 250g tomato paste
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 cup water
- Salt & Chili powder as per taste
- 1 tsp. garam masala
Crispy Fried Onion For Garnish
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- Oil for deep-frying
Over a moderate heat add heat 2 tbsp oil, the rice and salt to a medium-size saucepan. Fry for 2 minutes and then add two cups of water. Stir well and bring to the boil. Once the mixture has reached boiling point, lower the heat, cover and simmer for a further 15mins or until the rice is cooked.
- Wash the lentils under cold running water until the water runs clear. Add the lentils to another saucepan with two cups of water and bring to the boil. Once tender, remove from the heat, strain and set aside.
- Cook macaroni separately in boiling water with a little salt and strain and mix some oil and set it aside.
- Cook Chick peas,, but not mushy the chick peas should hold their shape, . to this add some salt , pepper , cumin powder, chili flakes and lemon juice and mix well. Note : Can use canned garbanzo’s too , just wash them and use.
- Sauce :Place a saucepan on moderate heat. Add oil and onion and cook until soft. Add garlic and fry to a pale brown. Stir in tomato paste, water, salt, garam masala and chili powder. Lower the heat and leave to simmer for 15-20 mins or until sauce has reduced by half. Remove from heat.
- Crispy Onion Garnish :Heat sufficient oil in a pan for frying. Add onions and fry until dark brown. Remove from oil, place on absorbent paper towel and leave to cool.
- To serve: In a big bowl add rice, lentils and macaroni and mix well . on top add chickpeas mix with some fried onions and pour sauce and serve hot like that or with some more sauce on the side with some fresh green salad of choice.
Variation: Add some vinegar.Add some good olive oil.