Kozhi rasam and Varuval (கோழி வடிசாறு & கோழி பொரியல், चिकन सूप और भूना हुआ चिकन) Kozhi Rasam is very spicy and hot and most often, the cold says ‘Bye-bye’ the very next day when we have this either as such or with some hot steamed rice. Varuval is chicken fry that is prepared in Tamil Nadu.
Regional Dish: Tamil Nadu
Cuisine Style: Tamil Nadu | Cooking Time 45 mins | Take it with rice | Type Curry| Shelf Life : 1 day| Quantity : 4 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving:
Calories (280 Kcal), Carbohydrates (22 g), Protein (6.2g), Fat (8.8 g).
· Chicken – 2 pounds with bone , use small whole chicken
· Cinnamon – 2 sticks
· Cloves – 2 nos.
· Poppy seeds – 1 tsp.
· Fennel seeds – 1 tsp.
· Cumin seeds – 1 tsp.
· Pepper corns – 1 tbsp.
· Coriander seeds – 3 tbsp.
· Dry red chilies – 2
· Curry leaves – 2-3 sprigs, just the leaves.
· Small pearl onions – 8-10
· Ginger Garlic paste- 2 tbsp.
· Finely chopped onion – 1
· Oil – 3 tbsp.
· Salt to taste
· Chili powder – 1tsp.
· Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp.
· Fresh coriander leaves 2 tbsp. for garnish
- Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a cast iron pan and roast Cinnamon, Cloves, Fennel seeds, cumin seeds, Peppercorns, dry coriander seeds and Red chilies with the Curry leaves.
- Add the poppy seeds and roast for 2 more mins and allow to cool down a bit.
- In the same pan, add one tbsp. of oil and sauté the pearl onions. Let it cool down and add pearl onions and above roasted whole spices and grind in to a fine paste. Add water when necessary to make the paste, fine.
- In a pressure cooker, heat oil and sauté chicken for 10 mins till the raw-smell leaves. Add the ground paste and five cups of water. Pressure cook for two whistles. Use a strainer to filter the rasam ( water from the cooked chicken) which we use to make rasam and the chicken is used to make fry.
- For the Rasam, add salt to the drained rasam/soup and keep it covered with a lid. You can call this a Kongu naatu chicken soup. Serve this with like that , clear soup or garnish it with some fresh coriander leaves and some chicken pieces.
- For the Varuval ( chicken fry): Saute the chicken pieces in 1 tbsp. of oil, add ginger garlic paste, finely chopped onions, little salt, chili powder, turmeric powder .
- Taste and add salt accordingly. Add 2 ladles full of rasam and let it get absorbed in the chicken while sautéing. Adding the rasam, helps in blending the flavors of the spices with the chicken pieces and bring it all together. Unlike other chicken-fry’s, this one is very soft and goes very well with the above rasam.
- Alternatively, You can use green chilies or red chilies or ground black pepper or a combinations of these also to spice the recipe.