Kolhapuri Tambda Rassa (कोल्हापुरी तांबडा रस्सा) is authentic Kolhapur’s Mutton gravy Curry. It is very spicy and is prepared mostly in Maharashtra, Goa and Mangalore. As it is gravy recipe another recipe is made that goes along with tambda rassa that is sukka mutton curry which is dry.
Regional Dish: Maharashtra, Goa, Mangalore.
Cuisine Style: Maharashtra| Cooking Time 1 hrs | Take it with rice/ naan| Type Curry| Shelf Life : 1 day| Quantity : 6 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving:
Calories (310Kcal), Carbohydrates (15), Protein (12), Fat (20g)
- 1 Kg. of Mutton
- 1 Tbsp. Red Chili Powder
- 1 Cup Oil
- 1 Tomato
- 4 Medium Size Onion
- Coriander Leaves
- 1″ Ginger
- 8/10 Garlic Cloves
- 1/4 Tbsp. Turmeric Powder
- 2 Tbsp. Salt
- 4 Black Cardamom
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh Coconut
- 2 Tbsp. dry Coconut
- 1 Tbsp. Coriander Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Cumin Powder
- 3/4 Black Pepper
- 3/4 Cinnamon Sticks
- 4/5 Cloves
- 1 Tbsp. Poppy Seeds
- 2 Tbsp. Sesame Seeds
- 2 Tbsp. Ghee
- 2 Tbsp. Kolhapuri Masala ( check below for the ingredients and method for how to prepare masala)
- Wash mutton pieces, mix them with turmeric powder, salt & ginger-garlic paste in a bowl.
- Marinate Mutton & keep it aside for an hour.
- Heat oil in a Pan.
- Add 4-5 cloves, 3/4 Black Pepper, 3/4 Cinnamon Sticks, Onion cut lengthwise, 2 Tbsp. Sesame Seeds & Dry Coconut.
- Fry it until the onion becomes light brown. After that put this in a grinder & make paste ( Use little water ).
- Now take oil in a big pan & Heat it.
- Add bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon, pepper, poppy seeds, onion( finely chopped). Fry till light brown & Add tomatoes.
- Now add mutton & salt, stir it . Cover pan with a lid.
- Add water into the pan. Close lid, let it cook for some time.
- When mutton is half cooked (10 mins) add the grinded masala & Kolhapuri Masala. Mix it well.
- Add 2 Tbsp. of Ghee.
- Close the lid & let it cook for around 20-25 minutes.
- Now switch off the gas, cover lid tightly for 15 mins.
- Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro.
- Serve it with Chapati’s / Bhakri’s with Dahi Kanda & Lemon Wedges.
Kholapuri Masala to make 500 grams of masala
- 125 gm. Dried Coconut
- 250 gm. Red Chilli Powder
- 60 gm. Coriander Seeds
- 50 gm. Garlic
- 50 gm. Sesame Seeds
- 25 gm. Poppy Seeds
- 20 gm. Cumin Seeds
- 10 gm. Peppercorns
- 5 gm. Asafoetida
- 8 Inches Cinnamon
- 5 gm. Mace
- 2 Inches Turmeric
- 1 Piece Ginger
- 2 tsp. Cardamom powder
- 1 tsp. Fenugreek seeds
- 1 Bunch Coriander Leaves
- 1 tsp. Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp. Dagad Phool
- 10 Cloves
- 4 Bay Leaves
- 1/8 Nutmeg
- 1/2 Cup Refined Oil
- 2 Cassia Buds
- Salt to taste
- Grind garlic, ginger and coriander together to make a fine paste.
- Roast poppy and sesame seeds on a hot griddle and grind it to make a fine paste.
- Now roast the dry coconut and grind it properly.
- Fry all the other ingredients separately in a little oil, except salt.
- Grind the fried ingredients one by one.
- Take a big bowl and combine all the ground ingredients.