Khajur Khatta (खजूर खट्टा, খাজুর খাত্তা) This is a famous dates with tomato chutney that can be served as a side to rice, roti or with any Indian snacks. This chutney in a combination is different tastes such as sweet, tangy and spicy in taste. This chutney is mostly prepared in Bengal and Orissa.
Regional Dish: Orissa, Bengal
Cuisine Style: Oriya| Cooking Time 15 mins| Take it with roti / rice| Type Chutney| Shelf Life: 2 day| Quantity: 6 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving:
Calories (40Kcals), Carbohydrates (4g), Protein (0.2 g), Fat (0.5g).
- 15-20 khajurs (dates)
- 3 medium sized tomato cut into small pieces
- 2 green chilies chopped into pieces
- 1 tsp. punch- phoran (equal parts of fenugreek, cumin, mustard, fennel and onion seeds)
- 50gm jaggery
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
- 2 tsp. of oil
- Salt to taste
- Some chopped fresh coriander leaves
- Heat a fry pan on medium heat and then add the oil.
- Add the punch-phoran and let them splutter.
- Then add green chilies and fry , now to this
- Add tomato pieces, turmeric powder, salt, dates, jaggery and mix it properly.
- Add a little water and leave it until everything is cooked properly and gravy is thick enough than take it off the heat.
- Add the chopped fresh coriander leaves and enjoy.
Variations: Add some onions, Add some ginger, Add some garlic, Add some prunes. Add some red chili powder, Add dry red chillies instead of green chillies.