Kathal Do Pyaza (कटहल दो प्याज)
This is a green jackfruit curry , Jackfruit which is very much enjoyed as a fruit once it is riped, in the same way the raw fruit is also enjoyed in many ways like currys , frys and fitters. One among that is this raw jackfruit curry that is enjoyed in many parts of North, West India.
Regional Dish: Bihar. Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra
Cuisine Style: Bihar | Cooking Time 30 mins | Take it with Rice/Roti | Type Curry | Shelf Life: 1 day |Quantity: 6 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving:
Calories (150 kcals), Carbohydrates (30g), Protein (2.4g), Fat (2.1g).
- 500 gms raw Jackfruit (kathal)
- 400 gms onion
- 1-inch piece ginger
- 4-6 dry whole red chillies
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin
- 4 cloves
- 1 piece cinnamon
- 4 big cardamoms
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 tbsp curd
- Salt to taste
- 100 gm oil
- Cut the kathal into big pieces. Deep-fry it till golden brown.
- Slice onions. Shred the ginger. In remaining oil, fry sliced onions till light brown. Add shredded ginger and all the spices and stir well.
- Add kathal pieces and sprinkle over salt. Mix 3 tbsp water in curd to the kathal. Stir well.
- Cover the lid and cook on low flame till Kathal is tender, once done serve with rice or roti.