Kashmiri Pulao (कश्मीरी पुलाव) is a very fancy mixed rice variety from Kashmir. As Kashmir is famous for spices and dried nuts and fruits a part form Tea and Saffron. This dish is infused with a combination of nuts, dried fruits and whole spices. The recipe is mild and sweet.
Regional Dish: Kashmir, North India
Cuisine Style: Kashmir| Cooking Time 30 mins | Take it with raita | Type Rice| Shelf Life: 1 day| Quantity: 2 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving:
Calories (280Kcal), Carbohydrates (20g), Protein (3g), Fat (g8)
- 3 table spoons ghee – clarified butter
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 to 3 cloves
- 2 1 inch pieces of cinnamon
- 2 cardamoms
- 1/4 tea spoon black cumin seeds – shah jeera
- 1 cup washer basmati rice
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cup water
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tea spoon saffron
- 3 tea spoons cream
- 2 table spoons raisins
- 3/4 cup roasted almonds, roasted cashews, walnuts, pistachio , dry dates
- 2 tea spoons sugar
- 1 fried onion
- Roast almonds, pistachio, raisins and cashews in ghee. Keep a side.
- In a pan add ghee and then add bay leaf and, cinnamon, clove and cardamom to it. Cook for few seconds.
- Now add black cumin seeds – shah jeera and washed rice to it.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add milk and water to it. Also add salt, saffron and cream to it.
- Cook covered for 12 to 15 minutes. Stir occasionally. When ready add sugar and raisins to it.
- Add roasted nuts and fried onion to it and cook for 3 to 3 minutes.
- Serve hot and delicious Kashmiri Pulao with Shahi Raita.
Variations: Add candid fruits, Add pomegranate, Add fresh fruits of choice, Rose petals.