Kashmiri Haak ( collard greens) is a daily dish in Kashmir. Collard greens are slowly cooked in water for half an hour to one hour till tender. Haak is rich in nutrients and generally eaten with plain steamed rice. Here, the recipe for haak is quite simple, fast and flavorful without too many ingredients.
Regional Dish: Kashmiri
Cuisine Style: Kashimiri| Preparation Time: 50 mins | Take it with Rice | Type : Curry| Shelf Life : 1 day| Quantity : 2servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving:
Calories (90 Kcal), Carbohydrates (5.4g), Protein (1.2 g), Fat (5.7 g).
- Collard Greens 1 Bunch
- Red Chilli Flakes 1 – 1 1/2 tsps.
- Asafedita powder ¼ tsp.
- Salt to taste
- Mustard Oil 1 tbsp.
- Water 1 cup
- Remove tougher center stalks and wash collard greens thoroughly.
- Roll all the collard leaves together and finely shred them (about 2 cups packed).
- Heat mustard oil in a wide pan, add asafedita, collard greens, one cup of water and salt.
- Cook covered on medium low heat until collard greens turns tender with little crunch.
- Cook covered till done.
- Uncover, stir in red chilli flakes and fry for a minute.
- Serve hot over plain steamed rice.
- Note: If collard greens are too raw, add few tbsps of water and cook covered till done.
Variations: For variations of haak, add sliced onions or green onions, ginger, garlic, tomato, cloves, yellow mustard seeds, garam masala etc… Substitute collard greens with kale or beet greens or dandelion greens, kohlrabi.