Karapusa (కారప్పూస, கருப்புச, ಕರಪುಸ, मोटा सेव) Omapodi/ Karapusa is an essential savory item along with Sweet chutney and Green chutney, forming an integral part of most Indian street food snacks. Sev is prepared with chickpea flour (besan) and rice flour. Tastes divine on its own along a cup of hot chai or can be garnished over homemade chaat or prepare a savory mixture.
Regional Dish : Andhra Pradesh; Tamilnadu; SouthIndia, North India.
Cusian Style : Andhra Pradesh| Cooking Time 20 mins | Take with side dish | Type Snack | Shelf Life : 1 months | Quantity : 4 Servings.
Appx.Nutrutional values: calculated for 1 serving( 1cup)
Calories ( 381.7) ,Carbohydrates (58.7 g),Protein( 12.7 g), Fat( 8.3g)
- Rice flour 1 cup
- Chick pea flour/besan/senaga pindi 1 1/4 cup
- Red chilli pwd (optional) 1/4 tsp
- powdered vaamu/ajwain (optional) 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Hot ghee or oil 1 tbsp
- Oil for deep frying
- Put together rice flour, gram flour, salt, hot ghee or oil, chilli pwd and ajwain and combine well. Slowly add water little by little to make a soft dough, just soft enough that it is pressed through easily with the janthikalu/chakali press. Test the dough for salt before deep-frying.
- Heat a wide heavy bottomed vessel with enough oil for deep frying. Take the janthikalu gottam aka murukku press and use the disc with smallest holes. Fill half of the press with the dough and once the oil is hot, reduce to medium flame and using circular motion, press the jantikalu gottam to make concentric layers of the sev dough. As you press the dough into the hot oil, you will find the oil froths up in bubbles which will eventually subside as the sev turns to a golden shade.
- Remember the frying has to be done on medium flame to achieve that golden color and crispness.
- When the sev turns a golden color, turn over to the other side and let it also cook to a golden brown. Use a slotted ladle to remove onto an absorbent paper and cool.
- Repeat the same process till the rest of the dough is done.
- Cool completely before storing in an air tight container.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : Garlic sev