Kandi Pachadi (तुअर दाल की चटनी,కంది పచ్చడి) This is a spicy accompaniment to steamed rice with some ghee or oil.This is another Andhra recipe which reminds of typical village atmosphere. The aroma of red gram dal when roasted is enhanced with the punch and strong ness of raw garlic.
Regional Dish: Andhra Pradesh
Cuisine Style: Andhra| Cooking Time 20 mins | Take it with Rice | Type Chutney | Shelf Life : 1 day |Quantity : 4 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving
Calories (25 Kcals), Carbohydrates (12.4 g), Protein (2.2), Fat (0.5g).
- 1/2 cup kandi pappu/tur dal/red gram dal
- 3/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 3-4 dry red chillis
- 3-4 garlic flakes
- Gooseberry sized tamarind
- Salt to taste
- For talimpu/tadka/seasoning:
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp. oil
- Dry roast red gram dal on low to medium flame till slightly red in color and nice aroma comes, take it off the flame and keep a side.
- In the same pan, add a tsp. of oil, add cumin seeds and red chilies and fry them till they pop up than remove from pan and cool.
- Once cooled, grind the red gram dal, raw garlic, tamarind, red chilies, cumin and salt to a coarse paste by adding very little water. You shouldn’t make it into a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a small pan. Add the mustard seeds and let them pop. Add the curry leaves and toss them for a few seconds till the flavors come out.Turn off heat and add the seasoning to the prepared kandi pachadi and mix well, taste it.
- Serve with hot steamed rice, ghee.
Variations: Add Hing(Asafatodia) instead of garlic.