Kakarakaya Bellam Kura (ಹಗಲ್ಕೈ ಬೆಲ್ಲ ಕೂರ, కాకరకాయ బెల్లం కూర, करेला और गुड़ सब्जी) The delicious Kakarakaya Bellam Koora is a curry that’s packed with spice and tangy taste of the indian cusine.
Regional Dish : Karnataka; Andhra; Kerala; Tamil Nadu; South India and some places in North India.
Cuisine Style : Karnataka | Cooking Time 35 minutes | Take with rice | Type Curry | Shelf Life : 2 days | Quantity: 4 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values : calculated for 1 serving ( 2tbs)
Calories (29K cals) , Carbohydrates (4.3 g), Protein (0.84g), Fat (0.30g)
- Bitter gourd 6 nos(medium sized)
- Onion 1 medium
- Cumin seeds 1/4 tsp
- Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves a few leaves
- Garlic clove 1
- Dried red chillies 4 nos
- Turmeric powder a pinch
- Oil 2 tsp
- Jaggery or brown sugar 1 tsp
- Salt and chilli powder (according to taste)
- Slice the bitter gourd into very small pieces.
- Add salt and turmeric powder to the bitter gourd and let it sit for a few minutes.
- Squeeze them and get the juice .
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan and add bitter gourd pieces to the pan .
- Fry them until they turn a little brown.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a different pan and add cumin, mustard seeds to the pan.
- When the seeds start sputtering add crushed garlic, whole red chillies, curry leaves.
- Add onion and fry them til they turn a little brown.
- Now add the fried bitter gourd pieces to this.
- Let them cook till they are done and add chilli powder and crushed jaggery.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1. Andhra Cuisine (Kakarakaya Bellam Pulusu). 2. Kakarakaya Pulla Bellam.