KajjiKayalu (కజ్జికాయలు, சோமாசி, गुन्जियास, ಕಜ್ಜಿಕಯಲು) is another famous traditional dish in Andhra house holds during Telugu festivals.”Kariyalu” or “Garijelu” or “Kajjikayalu” in different parts of andhra pradesh. There are many different stuffing options including flour, sugar and sooji, sesame, jaggery mixture, kova/mawa, dry fruits some people add powdered nuts mixture or poppy seeds too.
“Karanji”, “Gujjiya” are similar north indian sweet things. On the occasion of Diwali , dessara people all over the country prepare KajjiKayalu at their home.
Regional Dish : Andhra; Karnataka; Tamil Nadu; Uttar Pradesh; Punjab; Himachal Pradesh.
Cuisine Style : Andhra | Cooking Time 1 1/2 hour | Take it as Snack | Type Sweet | Shelf Life : 2 to 3 weeks| Quantity 25 nos
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving: 1no
Calories (152 K cal), Carbohydrate (15.5 g), Protein (0.60 g), Fat (2.4 g).
Ingredients to serve :
- All purpose flour (Maida) 250 gms
- Oil or Ghee 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Water to knead the dough
- Oil for deep frying
- Dry coconut ¼ cup (grated)
- Rava (sooji) ½ cup
- Sugar ½ cup
- Cardamom powder 1tsp
- Cashew nuts 3 tbsp chopped
- Resins 3 tsp. chopped
Dough Preparation :
- Mix all purpose flour, salt, ghee and enough water to make smooth and soft dough.
- Close with a lid and keep it aside for 30 mins.
Filling Preparation :
- Take a pan and dry roast the grated dry coconut for 4 to 5 mins on low flame.
- Remove the dry coconut from pan and keep it aside.
- In the same pan add sooji and dry roast for 5 mins on low flame.
- Remove from the flame and let it cool for sometime.
- Then mix the roasted sooji, roasted dry coconut, cardamom powder and cashew nuts , resins with sugar.
- Now divide the dough into small lemon size balls.
- Now roll them into thin pooris.
- Put 1 tbsp of filling on one side of the poori.
- Fold over to the opposite end and enclosing the filling to form a half moon shaped.
- Press the ends together firmly.
- Make sure that the edge is closed firmly so that the filling doesn’t come out during the deep frying.
- Take a kadai and heat with enough oil.
- At a time leave 3 or 4 kajjikayalu and deep fry on both sides till they turn into golden brown in color.
- Remove from oil and allow it to cool.
- Then store in an air tight container.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1. Kajjikayalu with Wheat flour and coconut kova.