Bisi bele bath (ಬಿಸಿ ಬೇಳೆ ಭಾತ್, பேசி பாலா பாத், बीसी बेली बात, బిసి బెలీ బాత్) Bisi Bele Bath is a popular dish made out of rice, lentil ( toordal), tamarind, chilli powder, ground spices, coconut and vegetables served with ghee on top. It is very similar to ‘Sambar sadam’ of Tamil Nadu except that it has his own distinct flavor.It is the special of karnataka.
Regional Dish : Karnataka; Tamilnadu; Andhra; South India.
Cuisine Style : Karnataka | Cooking Time 30 minutes | Take it as such | Type Lunch | Shelf Life : 1 day | Quantity : 6 Servings.
Appx. Nutritive value : calculated for 1 serving (1cup)
Calories (545.5 Kcal), Carbohydrates (96.9 g), Protein (17.5 g), Fat (10.5 g).
- Rice 1 cup
- Toor Dal 1 cup
- Small/pearl onions 5 no
- Brinjals diced 2nos
- Beans diced 1/2 cup
- Bottle gourd 5 small pieces
- Carrot diced 1
- Drumsticks cut 2
- Potato diced 2
- Radish diced 1
- Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
- Tamarind a size of lemon
- Few Curry leaves
- Cashew nut 10 no
- Ghee for frying
- Mustard seeds 1tsp
- Red chillies 3 nos
- Hing a pinch
- Salt to taste
- Red chillies 6nos
- Fenugreek seeds 1tsp
- Coriander seeds 1tsp
- Dry grated coconut 1tbsp
- Poppy seeds 1tsp
- Cloves 4
- A small piece Cinnamon
- Cardamoms 4
- Channa dal 1 tbsp
- Urad dal 1tbsp
- Asafoetida – 1/2 tsp
- Heat the pan & dry roast chanadal & urad dal & then heat little oil in a pan add red chillies, fenugreek, coriander seeds and grated dry coconut , fry until fenugreek turns golden brown in color.
- Heat a little oil and fry poppy seeds, cloves, cinnamon & cardamom.
- Once every thing gets cooled ,powder the above things and keep it aside.
- Soak tamarind in a little water and extract juice & keep it aside.
- Wash rice and dal. Place them separately in 2 containers, add a pinch of turmeric powder and chopped vegetables and cook it in a pressure cooker for only 2 whistles.
- After 15 mins, Open the lid & put some more water to the vegetable dal for the right consistnecy & keep it to boil & Add tamarind juice and salt to taste and mix thoroughly.
- Heat little ghee and fry cashew nuts until golden brown in color. Add to the rice along with powdered masala .
- Simmer the stove for 5-8 mins.
Heat little oil, add remaining dry red chillies, mustard, Hing & curry leaves .
- Mix well with the Bath Remove from fire. If you like ghee, add just before serving.
Other varients / Cuisine Style : 1. Sambar Rice 2.Sambar sadam. 3. Kadambam.