Kadamba Sadam ( Sambar Rice)( கடம்பா சாதம்) This rice is authentic to Tamil Nadu, and is also a temple food, which can be called as a whole some. It is a combination of rice, dal and various vegetables cooked in spicy and tangy gravy making this dish one pot meal. It is also called as sambar rice.
Regional Dish: Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh
Cuisine Style: Tamil Nadu| Cooking Time 35mins| Take it as such| Type Rice| Shelf Life: 1 day| Quantity: 4 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving:
Calories (220Kcals), Carbohydrates (28g), Protein (5 g), Fat (10g).
- 1 Cup Rice
- 1/2 Cup Toor Dhal
- 1 Medium Sized Lemon Size Tamarind
- 3 cups of mixed Vegetables – Pumpkin, Ash Gourd ,Sweet Potatoes,Potatoes, Okra, Raw Banana, Lima beans, Peas, Yam, Potatoes, Carrots, Capsicum, Eggplant, Bottle gourd, Drum sticks
- 1 tsp. Mustard seeds
- Few tsp. Ghee/ oil
- Salt to taste
- Curry leaves few
- 1/2 tsp. Turmeric powder
- 2 Green chilies slit length wise
- 1/ 4 tsp. Hing
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh coriander leaves for garnish
For the Spice Powder –roast the items listed below (except coconut) in little oil and grind it into smooth paste along with coconut.1 tsp. Urad Dhal
- 1 tsp. Urad Dhal
- 1 tsp. Channa Dhal
- 1 1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
- 2 tsp. Coriander Seeds
- 1/4 tsp. Fenugreek Seeds
- 4 Red Chilies
- 1/2 cup Coconut grated
- Pressure cook rice and dal and mash it well.
- Now cook all the vegetables too and put a side.
- Add 2 tsp. of oil/ ghee in a wide pot and to this add mustard, curry leaves, hing, turmeric powder, green chilies. Once they pop add cooked vegetables, rice and dal and the juice from tamarind and give it a good mix.
- Once everything get mixed, add the spice powder and coconut paste followed by salt.
- Cook this for 5 minutes, garnish with 1 tbsp. of ghee and fresh chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with raita and papad.
Variations: Add fried cashew nuts. Made with brown rice. Made with quinoa. Add some onions.