Junnu (జున్ను,चीईक,બારી) is a simple elegant dessert, a delicacy in Andhra Pradesh. It is also called Ginnu in Kannada and Kharwas in marathi.It is made from lactating cow’s milk. Usually it is prepared by the first 3 days milk from the cows who gave birth to calves , which is nothing but cow’s colostrum.It is rich in nutrients and has Immunity power.
Regional Dish : Andhra Pradesh; Tamil Nadu; Kerala; Orissa ; Bengal;South India and North India.
Cuisine Style : Andhra Pradesh| Cooking Time 30 minutes | Take it directly | Type Sweet | Shelf Life : 2 days if refrigerated.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving : Calories (250 K cal), Carbohydrates (20 g), Protein (10 g), Fat (5g).
Ingredients to serve :
- Colostrum milk 1 cup
- Whole milk 2 cups
- Sugar/ jaggery as per taste
- Black pepper powder 2 tbsp
- Cardamom powder 1 tsp
- Saffron strands few (optional)
- Strain colostrum milk in a strainer and measure 1cup and mix with 2 cups of whole milk.( as the thickness of milk differs from breed to breed and also of which day the colostrum milk is taken as first 2 days milk junnu will be hard when compared with 4 day junnu.
- Now mix jaggery , cardamom powder , black pepper powder and pour this mixture in to a bowl.
- Steam it in the cooker placing the weight for 10 minutes.
- Insert a spoon to know if it is cooked.
- Cool the Junnu and serve ( it has a sponge like texture , like caramel pudding )
Other variants / Cuisine Style : Junnu (prepared with milk, curd and sugar), Junnu prepared with milk and eggs
No comments yet.