Jack fruit Payasam (ചക്ക പ്രഥമന് ,कटहल की खीर, పనస పండుపాయాసం) This is also called as Jack fruit Kheer /Chakka Pradhaman;It is a very popular sweet item that hails from Kerala .
First the jam is prepared and the jam can either taken with breads, chapatis or eaten as halwa , when this is made thin by using coconut milk or whole milk it is called as payasam.
It is eye pleasing and also the aroma of jack fruit makes this recipe very different from other payasams.
Regional Dish : Kerala
Cuisine Style : kerala | Cooking time 45 mins | Take as such | Type sweet | Shelf life 2 days if refrigerated
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving ( ½ cup)
Calories (280Kcal), Carbohydrates (32 g), Protein (3.1 g), Fat (4.9g).
- Ripe Jack fruit paste 1 cup ( take app 20 jack fruit pieces , pressure cook to soft , drain if any water , cool and grind to smooth paste consistency. )
- Jaggery 1cup ( powdered)
- ghee – 2 tbsp ( u can increase the amount)
- Coconut pieces 2 tbs
- Cashew nuts – few
- Coconut milk/regular full fat milk – 1/2 cup (can also increase the quantity)
- Cardamom powder ½ tsp
- Take a thick bottom pan , put on medium heat add jaggery and ½ cup of water and allow the jaggery to completely dissolve in water and start to boil .
- At this time add jack fruit paste which is prepared before and mix well ;Allow it to boil for 5 minutes.
- Add coconut milk / whole milk or both half and half of each as per once taste and cook till the whole mixture starts to boil
- In an another pan add 2 tbs of ghee and roast cashew nuts and coconut pieces and add the whole mixture to payasam and top it with cardamom powder .
- Serve it warm or cold.
Note: Can used canned Jack fruit , drain the juice or water and use the fruit to get paste.
The pressure cooked jack fruit pieces must be grind ed with out any water.
Variations: Can add fresh grated coconut.