Indian Christmas Cake/Plum Cake (भारतीय क्रिसमस केक) This cake is a fruit cake without presoaking the dry fruits in alcohol. This is the cake that is mostly prepared in India during Christmas. People enjoy this cake with other Indian sweets and snacks. This cake is rich but soft and once you have this cake, they get addicted to it. It is also called as Xmas cake. It is often called as plum cake, but doesn’t has any plums in it.
Regional Dis h: India
Cuisine Style: Indian | Cooking Time 60 min | Take it as Such | Type Sweet | Shelf Life: 7 days |Quantity: 12 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving
Calories (195 kcals), Carbohydrates (25g), Protein (2g), Fat (7.2g).
- 1 cup plain all-purpose flour ( mida)
- 1/2 cup chopped cashew nuts
- 1/4 cup black raisins
- 1/2 cup mixed dry fruits (dates, cherries, orange peels, tutti frutti) or a candied fruit mixture
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup butter, at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1 clove , 1 cardamom pod , small piece of cinnamon , 1/4 tsp of nutmeg, 1/4 tsp of dry ginger (pound together to powder)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- For this Christmas fruit cake we need to caramelize sugar. In a pan on medium heat, melt 1/2 cup sugar slowly. It will first melt and then turn into a dark brown goop. Keep stirring and let it turn a deep dark caramel color. Turn off heat and add about 1/4 cup water. The sugar will harden. Turn the heat back on and slowly heat the mixture until the sugar crystals dissolve. This will take around 10 mins. Let this cool and set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F / 175C.
- Add 3 tbsp. of flour to the dry fruits and nuts and toss to coat them well. This is done to prevent nuts from settling at the bottom of the pan while baking.
- Mix all the dry ingredients such as flour, baking powder, spices and salt until well combined.
- In a big bowl beat the butter and 1 cup sugar until fluffy for about 10 mins. Add vanilla and mix until combined. Next, add 1 egg and beat. Then add a bit of the flour mixture and fold. Likewise, alternate between the eggs and flour mixture until everything in used up.
- Add the cooled caramel and coated fruits and gently fold in. Pour batter into a greased cake pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 50-55 mins until the top of the cake turns dark brown and when a knife inserted into the cake comes out clean; take out the cake and allow it to rest before slicing.
- Note: If you want cake to be moist but without any alcohol , make cake in advance and moist it it either apple juice or pineapple juice.
Variation: Presoak all the dry fruits in rum overnight.